1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Just bought a KSD Ken Smith Proto J-- Any other KSD Users out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Dec 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi TB'ers. Thanks for dropping by.
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a KSD Lefty Proto J tonight. I've been intrigued by the model since I first saw them a couple years ago. I just returned a faulty Ibanez lefty and wanted another bass, this time a classic sunburst because it's been years since I've owned a classic style J bass. So while I was browsing the online stores this one came up at me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I know, I know, I've heard all the horror stories about Ken Smith here on TB. I know they are designed by Ken Smith but not built by him. But I got the bass for such a good deal I can sell it and make all the money back I invested in it.

So, are there any other KSD bass players out there? Can anyone come up with something positive to say about these basses? I noticed it's been quite a while since the KSD forum has been accessed and used.

Thanks for those of you who chime in! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Wellllllllllllll looks like I'm the only sucker for one of these.... wha happen.... did all the TB'ers buy 'em then burn them up.... for firewood???? :laugh:

Come on guys there has to be a couple users out there... Maybe hate the guy but don't hate the bass.... :bag:

3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Yep, I got one. That's me up there! Hey, pretty bass! You like it? Don't know yet, haven't got it!

C'mon guys, I know you're out there! Don't be embarrassed!

4. You might need to wait more than an hour between posting.

5. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    I've got one. Great jazz bass.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks. What is the neck like?

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Read the date stamps on the postings

8. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I bought one of the proto J 706 when they first came out. I wanted a 6 string Jazz bass for a "reasonable" cost. It was over all nice. The neck was very good/ body was very good. Sound was good- very good. Over all good+.

Tthe less than great were the tuners, and the electronics. All were functional and worked fine.
    If I kept it it would ultimately have upgraded those components and it would be a very good bass.
    To me the biggest down side was the weight. It was friggin heavy.

So I traded it to a TB'er here for a fretless bass mods 6.. That weighs about the same or more.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats on the new bass!

10. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    It's probably one the best necks I've played and it's takes a very low action (below 1.5mm at the 12th fret).

The only reason I don't use it more is I mainly play 5 strings.

11. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you all for your nice replies! I'm kind of hoping I can herd the KSD users together for discussions. :)

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I appreciate your comments. I'm coming from an Ibanez with a fast narrow neck but I've been wanting a J style bass for a while. Gotta have a tort! ;)

13. Brookmichael

Brookmichael

Sep 25, 2012
    Hey bud where are you at in Alaska?

14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey there! Sitka Alaska... end of the trail! :laugh:

15. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I think if you go into the KSD view it as a platform rather than a final piece.

It is perfectly usable out of the box. But it definitely has shortcomings. When I bought mine from Bass Central, Beaver's review of it was "great bass, at the price point". And I think that is accurate. It is a good bass that with some upgrades (tuners/ pickups/ pre and pots) could be a great bass.

And it could be nice to go into it with the knowledge that you will WANT to tweak it to your tastes.. add nordstrands or bartolinis pickups, add aguilar or pope pre, etc.

16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    My sentiments exactly! Thanks for the suggestions....

17. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I used the bass for a gig this weekend. The neck plays like butter. The pickups are nice but I'm thinking I want something more "high end." I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have for J bass pickups. I'm surprised at how nice the bass plays for the price.

Any other KSD users out there?

18. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hello all. For anyone interested, I played with the KSD last night. It was so comfortable to play. I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups to something else. I kind of like an agressive midrangey tone like MusicMan/Ibanez. I like the growl. What would be cool to me would be to put a MM pickup in the bridge position instead of the J bass pickup. Has anyone ever done this? I haven't dug under the pickguard and I'm wondering how much routing would be involved. Jazz bass players-- any thoughts?

Thanks!