Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought a new bass!! : SX SJB-75 Ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tpu2, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Tpu2

Tpu2

Oct 19, 2002
    Hey everyone I just bought a new bass! I was really GASing for a new bass last night, so I splurged. Never did I think I was going to splurge and spend so little money ($149.99!!) Even though I didn't even spend $200, I fell like I just made this HUGE investment. Huh, maybe it's the glowing reviews that Essex is getting. This is the bass I bought http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$YMSINXAAAAK5HTZENUEZPQWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1051077 . This is my question though: When I finally recive it, is their anything I should look out for? I have read that sometimes the frets need to be sanded (can I do this by myself? I haven't ever done it before). Also I might need to put new strings on right ( I know I can do that)? It seems that a very common mod is replacing the nut (again, can I do that by myself?). Anyway, thanks guys. I'll be sure to post pics and give it a full review as soon as I get it!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just got the SJB-62 MG fretless (came yesterday) and I'm pretty impressed. This one has a pretty decent nut, and, of course, no frets. I could make a new nut for it if I needed to, but when you replace a nut, you need to have a pretty good idea of what you're trying to do, as well as certain tools. Maybe yours will be OK. The stock strings might be OK, but be prepared to replace them. I agree with SMASH, if you have a pro do a fret level, you're into almost as much money for that as for the bass itself. However, you may be able to achieve decent action with the frets as they are, you'll just have to see. I've heard than many are playable right out of the box.

Give us a review when you get it.