I just bought a NEW SWR Goliath Junior III (2 x 10)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Man oh man this thing is awesome. In my opinion it beats the snot out of the Eden 210XLT. heh. Seriously, it is incredibly light, and it sounds amazing for its size. Definitely the 210 to buy if you got the cash!!
  2. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    they look nice. i have the 4x10 goliath iii. it cranks. what amp are you running it through?
  3. stratusxh

Jul 15, 2001
    i got my Goliath3 junior today. it showed up UPS while i was at school. it sounds amazing too. i like the giant tweeter attenuator, that was a nice touch, man, this thing has balls to spare. 50% power on my gk400rb with the active bass pad on yeilds more than enough bass to shake the room. EQ it and you can knock over a low rider crossing your street and kill small rodents crossing the stage. oh, and when i stuffed in some earplugs and cranked it up, those speakers were barely even moving, let alone sweating, but they were pumping air like a ceiling fan. i think its safe to say whatever else i get, im never buying another speaker unless its an SWR. ive been considering adding another 8 ohm junior to this one for an effective 4x10 or adding a goliath3 4x10 and have six 10's pumping on stage with over 1000 watts of speaker headroom. the only problem with the 4x10 i can think of is that it might only get dragged to my larger gigs, as powerful as the junior is.
  4. At the moment I'm running it through an old Peavey bass amp. It's not brilliant, but until I can afford an SWR head unit, it will do. The disapointing thing is that the Peavey will only put out about 120-130 watts at 8 ohms, so the box isn't reaching anywhere near it's capacity of 350W.

Actually, that brings me to a question. I know that underpowering a speaker box with a not very good amp can damage your speakers if you crank the amp. Is that likely to happen if I crank the amp and it will only put out 120W into my 350W box? Any help appreciated :)
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    There's no problem with underpowering a cab as long as it's clean power. When you crank an amp it starts to clip you get problems.
  6. Oh ok. Thanx Phat Ham. One more thing, wut's clipping? It sounds pretty clean. I've had it as loud as i can in my room without being deafened, and it was still pretty clean i think. So, I would assume that there hasn't been any clipping at that volume, but i don't really know wut clipping is.
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention the clipping thing is only for solid state amps. Tube amps don't produce the sudden square waves so you can clip those to a certain extent without problems.

If the sound you're getting sounds clean then you're probably doing fine. When you clip an amp it sounds like crap. I don't know about your Peavey but a lot of amps nowadays have clip indicators that light up when you clip the amp.
  8. i just want to know what you guys paid for the GIII 2x10 if you don't mind me asking. I'm just in the market at the moment and need to define a budget.

9. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    so having a golioath junior 2x10 with a SWR 350
    is equivalent to having a super redhead combo?
  10. The amp is solid state, and it has this little light that lights up when i play hard. It's the compression indicator. I used the amp at a gig last night and it sounded clean. I didn't turn the pre gain up past about 2 - 2 1/2 (out of 10), and had the post gain on nearly full. He said that that should be fine. It did sounds fine to me, but the compression light was on about half the time. Does this sound right?
  11. Oh yeah, whitester, i paid around $750US. I live in Australia and it was $1700 here, but I paid $1500.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Actually the SWR Bass 350 has a different preamp section than the Super Redhead. The Bass 750 and the Super Redhead have the same preamp, but different poweramps.
  13. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico

See? That i didn't know...thanks for sharing that bit of info. most interesting.
  14. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I have a first gen Goliath Junior, and I'll never get rid of it. Before I got it, I had a standard Goliath (4x10) and this one kicks the snot out of it for my use - with fewer speakers, I'm powering them more efficiently.

I've played shows with just the 2x10 where bassists in the audience SWORE that I was going through the PA or some additional cabinet hidden somewhere. The thing rocks.

For bigger gigs, I'll put it on top of my Big Ben (1x18") but for most, the little cab is more than enough.