1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just bought a Supro Pocket bass. Anyone got one? Need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Nov 10, 2019.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Hi guys, so I just picked up this very cool little micro scale pocket bass.

The neck pickup sounds great. Very woody sounding. Sounds exactly like the bass in Whipping Post.
    The blend pot does work, but the Piezo is very weak. The wooden bridge was cracked. There are two little metal posts, along with 2 little screws. I am wondering if the screws belong, and are part of the Piezo or if they were added to the bridge to try to fix the crack. Does anyone have one of these basses?
    I took out the little screws so I could glue the crack, but you can see the hole beside the little metal post.
    Any way to boost the output? The neck PUP is already very low.
    Cheers

20191110_225716. 20191110_225817. 20191110_225827.

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I owned one of the Reso-Glas bodied short-scales with the mystery piezo in the bridge, but not sure what's going on there... the 1st pic is what? And how does it relate to the piezo? First advise is searching for pics on-line of this bass/model and comparing what you find. Good luck -

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    The first pic is the top part of the wooden bridge. Similar to an old archtop.
    I looked at all the pics and nobody seems to know much about the Piezo
    The two metal posts go into the Piezo. I glued it, and am wondering if the two little screws need to be there. I guess I can just try it out.
    Its still cool as a one pickup bass.
    Cheers

4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    1) The "silversound" pickup is not just on the shortscale basses. The longscale Supro violin and Taurus basses have it as well.

2) It is not a piezo. The bottom of the bridge foot is hollowed out to accommodate two wound coils with a center hole. The metal posts descending from the bridge proper fit into the holes and are excited by the string vibrations, thereby activating the pickup. The output is weak; think "tone" rather than "volume."

3) I could not see any "extra" screws in the pic, but the thumbwheels are for height adjustment of the bridge. What I see in the pics is just a normal, albeit broken, Supro silversound bridge.

5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I took them out to glue the bridge.
    You can see in the first pic, the metal pole has a small hole beside it, thats where the screw was. It was probably there just to try and fix the crack.
    I glued it and will try it tonight when I get home from work.
    Cheers