Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought a Warmoth Gecko

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Feb 1, 2003.

1. ...and I haven't even had a chance to plug it in yet. I had to stop at my sister's house to have dinner with my parents. And I'm joesing to play it. It's pretty sweet- 5 string,flamed koa top,ash body(beautiful grain),pau ferro 'board,Villex pickups.
    Does anyone know much about Villex pu's? I know Modulus seems pretty fond of them. The conrol layout is interesting. V,V,Mids,Tone.
    I'll post again after I get home and lay down a groove on it...

2. pics PICS pics Pics Pics Pics PICS pics
    Pics pics picsssssssssssss
    Pics pics pics pics
    pics pics pics pics
    pics pics pics pics
    pics pics pics

*done to the tune of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyrie"

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I thought you had to assemble the gecko's yourself? Let us know how it sounds, I have been very interested in the geckos! Oh and, PICS!:D

4. Man,I LOVE this bass. It sounds great so far. I've only had about 5-10 minutes on it. I had to get my kids in bed,etc. I'm going to invest some time in the morning. The pickups are passive single coil soapbars. They seem to be pretty hot. The mid knob lets you dial in a vintage-type Jbass sound or cut the mids for a slap tone. I don't know that much about them and their website has no info. The tuners are Hipshot ultra lights,it has a brass nut and a Hipshot bridge.

The Flame Koa top is beautiful. And the ash body has exceptional grain. I've owned Warwicks,A Modulus Q5,a couple Music Man basses,etc. I think I might have found the bass for me. It combines that "Jazz sound" with modern touches. It seems to have some decent growl.

I'm trying to get pics. Hopefully I'll have a few soon. BTW-I bought it from the guy who built it. I think he had some help from a local luthier.

If you're considering a Gecko,I recommend trying them out. I'm very impressed do far.

So-Does anyone know anything about Villex?

Thanks...

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Until you post pix, your alledged "bass" doesn't exist! :p

6. OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!

Don't take that from him! Show the pic!

:D

7. Here are a couple of pics. I can't say enough about how sweet this bass is. The wood is amazing. Even the swamp ash has beautiful grain. And it sounds kick ass. I need to set it up to my taste,but it plays great too. Let me know whta you think...

8. And just to prove that my "bass" DOES exist...;)

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!! Taht's really nice. Welcome to the club!!!!!

10. Thanks!

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's the best looking one I've seen! Well done!

12. Thanks. I wish I could let people check it out. It's pretty special. I lucked out.

13. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    That is a peeeerty bass. Does it have that Gecko inlay in it...I don't think I saw one there. That inlay can make a pretty bass fugly.

14. The Gecko inlay is Pau Ferro just like the fingerboard,so you can only see it up close. But,it's there...

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How much did you pay for it??