Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I JUST BOUGHT AN AWESOME NEW BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yup...i got $2k for my birthday and bought myself a Pedulla fretless buzz with epoxy fingerboard. It is sooo sweet....ive learned a lot from buying this bass tho....I just turned 16 and am considered and consider myself quite an accomplished bassist. I can really tap into the groove and even though chops arent even half of it, i have a good amount. I also play double bass in orchestra so my sight reading is very good. So i have decided i want to go to CalArts (california institute of the arts). The only problem is my parents are generally opposed and I have really no strong arguments against them except "i know its what i want to do." Does anybody know anything i can do to persuade them because unless i get some sort of major scholarship (which is not out of the question), this is not an idea they support.

2. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics... :D

3. TotalJam

TotalJam

Jul 8, 2004
    Ohio
    how did you get 2,000$ for your b-day?! heh

4. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    lucky guy. i am only 17 and still long to reach your stage cos most of the time i spend would be checking how much cash do i have and looking for good gear deals. my parents never supportmy decision to play bass(they think is less prestigious than guitar or piano). but, after i persuaded them and told them about learning jazz. they agreed and allowed to join lessons. consider yourself very lucky. actually, so i am. i get 600 a month but most of them go to cigarettes. i am quitting though. about college there is still a long way ahead. do a degree in something else and then go and do whatever u want

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have 2 modulus basses, a monster killer eden rig, but unfortunately I still suck.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have a Benavente, a Lakland, an EBS/Eden rig, and I suck worse than Tim.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    we're not worthy

8. Tell them that approaching a career in music the way you are doing it is the best way to earn a living in the discipline. The glitter and bad behavior they see on the tube is less than 1% of the entire scene. From studio musicians doing jingles to symphony musicians doing side work on movie soundtracks, there are thousands of working artists that will never be seen. THAT is where the talent is at and THAT is where the money is at. The other thing is that, as a working musician, you are not tied to just one project at at time and all of your work will either:

a. Make you a better musician
    b. Make you some money
    c. Introduce you to better musicians
    d. Introduce you to situations that can make you better money
    e. Be fun
    f. All of the above.

9. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    dude all i can say is awesome. i myself am 15 and i really dont know how my playing stacks up to others, but i know i am getting better. that sucks that your parents dont support you in your bass playing, i hope that you gain their support.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Geezus, if you're a teenager, wouldn't you really rather have a car?

11. appler

appler Guest

Yeah, I'm sixteen and I'd rather have a cheap bass and a ride to gigs than an expensive bass and have to walk. :D

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Nordstrand and a Zon, and suck more than either of you guys!:D

TAB69, congrats on your Buzz!:cool: They are awesome fretlesses, my second favorite to Zon. Didn't you just get a Cirrus 6 too? Consider yourself fortunate to have such nice gear at such a tender age.:) I played junk until I was 32.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    :eek:

No comment.

14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I out suck all you guys combined. :D

You should see how badly I suck on my Turner.

15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you intend to stick with music for any period of time, you should really rethink making statements like this. That is a VERY BOLD statement for ANYONE to make in first person.

As far as the parents go, you may never get their hearts into supporting your dream but as long as their wallets are there it will all work out. If they are not musicians then they will never see the intangibles of being a musician, and you will never convince them on just the quantifiable aspects. Keep talking about the subject with them and eventually it may simply become part of their reality. Gentel persistance can be just as effective as a straight out confrontation.

Good luck.

Grendel GR5, Carvin B4. I suck so bad that the shear spectacle is almost interesting.

16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    He's from Beverly Hills, get it.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, when I was his age, I didn't get the bass or the car. :bawl:

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My folks always made me buy my own toys, w/ money I earned! Oh, BTW, I get it... Why do you think I declined commenting.

19. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Congrats on the new bass man, don't let anyone give you any guff about getting an amazing bass at your age, we all wish we could have and birthdays are the prime time to get great basses, I've gotten a pair of Warwicks as either birthday or graduation presents. Good luck with CalArt, keep talkin to the rents, try to be patient with them they'll prolly never understand, **** my brother plays bass and he doesn't even understand how much I love the instrument. You'll do fine with it brother, just keep playin and show your parents how badly you want CalArt and they'll acqiuesce eventually. Good luck, and congrats on a sweet bass.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, a new Buzz to join your new Cirrus, and you still want to spend $2K on a custom bass? And, you're 16? :eyebrow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.