Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought me some hockey skates

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Street hockey, that is...

Tour STS 50... they seem to be of good quality, and are very fast.

I want to upgrade the wheels eventually, though.

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Awesome..
    I played ice hockey for about 6 years.. Fun times.. Then played street hockey for about a year.. Also fun times.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Nice pick up.
    I've been skating Missions for the past 7 years.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    These are taking a bit of getting used too...

I'm used to recreation skates, and agressive inline skates, both of which are fairly low to the ground compared to hockey skates.

Stopping seems to be an issue, so i just do what i can to slow down, and do that spin thing that you do by makign your skates in a line together... sorta.

I find myself on the edges of the wheels quite a bit, purely on accident. I love them.

Just gotta break them cause they have some weird ass pressure points.

I was gonna go for the Bauer Mega 50 RH, they were the same price, but they didnt have any in my size.

big 5 was selling them for $99, and i went in expecting to get the Bauers, cause thats what they had in the news paper ad, didnt see my size, saw the Tour's, had my size... and bam.

$107.24 later, here i am.

ps:

HOW THE HELL DO YOU STOP?

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I used to play street hockey. I worked for a computer company and a bunch of guys were into it so I started playing with them. I bought some used Bauers. I wasn't too bad considering I'd never skated on inline skates nor had I ever played hockey. After I quit there I never really got back involved with people who play so I quit playing. I'm going to sell the Bauers soon.

brad cook

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have my gloves, my helmet, my stick, and a goal. No one around here wants to play anymore, but I keep the gear "just in case".

-Mike

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I didn't play much this past year, but I bought my skates used off of a hockey playing friend of mine. They were his backup skates, and just my size, only used once. I got CCM Intruder 55's, my sticks are all Bauer Lindros models (all wood of course (I get them dirt cheap, friend owns pro shop) and I break two or three a season)

No pads for me. Just jeans, Under Armor, and a Devils Jersey. CCM gloves and my Talkbass beanie.

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    T-Stop.. :D
    One thing I liked about ice hockey.. Hockey stops are soo much fun to do.. Unless you try to do them with rollerhockey skates.. Ouch.

9. I'm just curious, and you guys seem to know about roller hockey skates, do they make Vapor 20's and Vectors for roller hockey? I thought I saw some in a store once, but I can't remember.

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I can hockey stop with inlines. It takes lots of practice. The surface I play on for league games is called Ice Court and is very nice for stopping. When I play at outdoor inline rinks I mostly go to a power slide type of stop. It's kinda like a hockey stop and a power slide at the same time.

Check out www.hockeymonkey.com they usually have good prices on equipment and you can get good prices on discontinued skates. OH, buy a helmet. I've been skating since I was 5 and can skate better than I can walk but accidents happen and when they do I like to have my mellon covered. :D

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I haven't seen Vapors but I know they have Vectors.

12. I've always skated Bauer's and Mission's

I used to play roller hockey pretty extensively...I played on a few travelling teams when I was 13-16(or so). During the height of that we were traveling mainly to north Texas areas (Dallas, Tyler) and a few cities in Lousiana (Lafayette, Shreveport, and Lake Charles).

I'm also the smallest, skinniest goalie you'd probably ever meet. I played a lot of catcher when I played baseball, so it was only natural that I played goalkeeper. Glove saves were my thing. I quit playing because, to be honest, I got tired of play goalkeeper. Just because I was good at it (I have an MVP city league trophy to prove that) doesn't mean I liked it. I want to be a forward, damnit!

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Is anyone ever gonna tell me if my skates are decent or not?

:p

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey did you get the money for those by selling that lettuce you stole from Subway? Just curious.

brad cook

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    ha ha.

I called those sacks today... told them im not driving 25 miles to give them their shirts... he got mad.

16. I had a pair of Tour STS once...they weren't that great, but they weren't that bad. If you're serious about skating, you're really gonna want to get something better down the line.

You'll need outdoor AND indoor wheels, if applicable.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +11

Yes. That's why I've stuck with steel blades on ice (CCM Tacks). :)

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    When I used to play street hockey, I found the best way to stop was to run into someone.

19. If you like them, they fit your feet, and don't wiegh 20lbs, and you think it was a good deal, then yes they're great. :smug:

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm an ice skates dummy...what else do they make the blades out of? How does that affect the stopping?

brad cook