1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just bought METALLICA 's " DEATH MAGNETIC" !!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 8, 2008.

1. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Heard some more of the album and I am very impressed. Best metal material to come out in a LONG time. Nothing can top AJFA era Metallica but this is a shaping up to be a very good album. Picking it up on Friday and getting my tickets Saturday. :hyper:

2. The album is growing on me.

3. Personally, I think they all need to hit the woodshed and practice. You are supposed to get better, tighter and cleaner with experience... they seem to be doing the opposite. Also, most of the riffs are very weak and the vocals are absolutely god awful. The production is also not very good at all. You would think with all they money they have they could at the very least have a well produced album.

4. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    +1

"Broken, Beat and Scarred" and "All Nightmare Long" are sticking in my head more and more! :)

And "The Day that Never Comes", (or, "Fade to Black - Reprise", as I think of it) is a great one too! :D

I think it was mentioned in another thread, but I'm going with the opinion that I judge "Death Magnetic" as a new album, and not compare it to the stuff from the past.

This IS a good Metallica album!!! :hyper:

5. I don´t think the production is that bad, except the vocals and bass.
    Oh, wait, guess that´s half of it:bag:

But really, the guitars sound kickass for the most part. But the vocals are lacking punch and precense. Rubin could have given ol´ James some help there.

And the bass, well you can´t really hear it unless on the instrumental. On that one, Rob does have quite a nice tone.

6. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Agreed. In fact, that is the album that turned me off. I haven't heard anything exciting since......

7. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I thought the same thing. Great intro and then it turns into a complete mess. Sounds like 5 songs in one.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

9. I promised myself at the end of last week that I'd wait until friday to listen to the album again. I'll listen to the 2 songs I have yet to hear tomorrow.

10. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA

Well....

IMHO, you might want to listen to it first. Considering I'm an old school fan, I'm really not digging it.....

11. +1. I listened to the whole thing today, and it just struck me as "meh". Part of it may be that I'm not into metal like I used to be, but stuff like Thrice's "The Artist in the Ambulance" or Shadows Fall's "Threads of Like" just blows this new Metallica away.
    That said, having been a fan of Metallica in the past, I'm glad they're still motivated to make music. They clearly don't need to do it for the money.

12. I've heard it repeatedly and like it. I will buy it tomorrow. :)

13. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just downloaded it (ordered it on the mission: metallica website) and I have to say so far, I'm pretty happy.

I'm only onto "The Day that Never Comes" so far (which I'd heard before), but so far it's been great. The second track, "The End of the Line", was odd, but I really enjoyed it. Sounded like Saint Anger done right--I didn't think such a thing was possible! hah. But I'm definitely digging the main "Some Kind of Monster" riff in an actually good song now--I've always liked that riff, but the song was awful.

My only complaint so far is the digital clipping. *Nowhere* near as bad as on the singles, but it's still there and just noticeable enough to a little irritating. Oh well.

Now, off to finish the album!

-Dash

14. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    ILL HAVE IT IN 10 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAAAAAIT!!!!!

15. what an amazing CD...man im listening to the whole thing now.. i got a free MP3 burn and the actual hard copy comming in the mail!! and im seeing them in January!!

Thrice?? yeah there good but let me see them do what Metallica did in their career..its not even really the same music.. i don't think it blows it away..lol

16. Thank you for posting the link! I checked out a couple of the songs...and I'll probably be picking this up tomorrow morning.

17. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Hoegaarden. I miss drinking

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Tomorrow it shall be mine.

MAJOR METAL likes this.
  19. I love the songs so far, but the CD is one of the worst CDs I've ever heard.

The CD is insanely flat, and the sonic space the guitars and drums have been squeezed into really baffles me. It actually hurts my ears to listen to this album on my muddy as hell early 90s Mission speakers.

I kind of prefer the leaked mp3s since the insane "wall of noise" high end hurts less.

I am waiting for the rip of the 5lp vinyl. It's gonna sound awesome :)

20. I'm not comparing their career accomplishments. I'm comparing one album to another. Just my opinion.