Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought my first bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phishyd, Jan 4, 2005.

1. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Peavey Grind Bass 4 BXP NTB Electric Bass Guitar
    Good buy or any comments. I have no prior music expirence have wanted to learn for a while. How do I clean this and what are some good strings?
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVGRNTB4

2. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Hey, that's a great bass! You'll be able to explore bassplaying with it just fine. I'm not sure, but I think it has a polyurethane coating, so you don't have to wax it. If it doesn't have that coating, you should et some guitar/bass wax for it.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Congrats, Phishyd !

Not my style of bass, but having a decent bass with neck thru at this price is a nice deal. A good way to start on bass, indeed !

About the strings, it's a very personal thing. There are many strings on the market, I really believe the best way to choose the appropriate set is to try them out.

Now let me wish you a long and successful life of bass playing !

Cheers,
    JL

4. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Great Bass.

5. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    thanx

6. Yup, that'll do very nicely.

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Welcome to the bass tone throwers Army! Great bass to begin with and worthy of keeping forever. I too started on a Peavey and miss it. Just don't make the mistake I did and trade it off. It's your first and should be kept forever if possible. String brands are like basses. Some like them and some don't. Any name brand will get you there so don't sweat it. If you need a couple suggestions, Ernie Ball & Roto Sound.
    Also, do not worry about changing strings every month or so. I love my years old comfy, worn out strings. If it will tune and sound good, leave it be. Have a lot of fun and play it loud! :smug:

8. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Thinking I am gonna try rotosound FM66 Funk masters. Any good? Cheap places online?

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Rotosound strings sound good, but be aware that they have a short life.

Cheers,
    JL

10. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Congrats.
    I hope that you'll find joy in world of Bass :bassist:

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm not expienced with that particular bass, but zzounds is a great shop to buy from - i've dealt with them for 3 or 4 items and i've always walked away feeling really good :)

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, and by the way, welcome to bass, and talkbass :)

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hey, welcome to the world of the low end!

And welcome to TalkBass! You'll fine an answer to every question you have about playing bass or equipment here. There is a world of knowledge on this website. Best place for bass you could find!

You'll love that bass for many years. As far as strings go...check out the strings forum. Lots of answers.

14. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I own the exact bass, have you recieved it yet? They tend to be a little varying in the finish department... luckly mine is amazing. Gonna take a little setup and maybe a bit of a fret job. But once you get that... you'll be tearin it up... I suggest taking to a pro and let them do the setup and fret leveling when you feel the need to.

15. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Nice bass, I wish I had such a nice one when I started.

R.e. the strings, read the thread "What string do you use" on this site, something will come out of it. That's what I did personnally. But if you're a beginner, you should play your axe first, and see what you like / don't like with the one you have before changing them, bass strings are expensive.

16. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Got my bass everything looks great.
    Thank you for the help

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great first bass. Congrats!

18. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    Peavy basses are the best to start with, not too much money and they play pretty well thiis nice compared to the T-40 and Foundation bass I started with, good buy!

19. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    A guy i teach came round the other week with one of these he was thinking of buying off a friend. Its a good first bass!

Not really my cup of tea style wise but it felt really good to play and you can get a wide range of sounds out of them, i wish they had these when i started, my first bass was a plank....

20. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    thank you all
    I have found one problem if I turn the tone knob it makes a static type noise. My frind just told me it is dust. Can anyone help?