I just bought my first passive bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Dec 28, 2002.

1. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't count my two first beginner basses though (samik and Vester)

I just bought a Status Shark. I haven't played it through a big amp yet, so I'm not sure what it really sounds like yet.
    What really sold me was the neck. I have played around with it on several occations in the shop and I haven't found a bassneck I like more.

I also have
    Stingray 5
    Fernandes APB4
    Höfner Beatle bass

All active. Nice to be able to play without the hassle of a battery. This shall be my live bass

Anyone else here like the Shark model.
  2. that looks pretty cool! hope you have fun with it.:cool:
  3. an active Hofner Beatle bass?
    was the active circuit factory-fitted or did you install it?
  4. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Höfner made beatle basses with active electronics in the late sixties and early seventies (I am told, but what do I know?). My Bass is from -72 and has a built in passive active switch. In active mode it has a three option toggle knob and a boost knob. The toggle knob is bass, mid and treable. The boost knob is for boosting. =D

I just picked up my status bass. What a player it is!!!
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm actually now in the market for a relatively inexpensive passive myself. Other than my P-Bass, all of my basses are active and I need a good backup passive (for when a battery dies) that has decent versatility.

How much did you pay for that bad boy and is it new or used?
  6. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I bought it used at a store here in central Stockholm (Sweden). I paid just under $300.
    I've not seen this model for sale any cheaper here.
    I know it was over $1000 new. They are selling old demo bases at status right now.
    I did some quick tests yesterday. I matched it with my friend's P-bass. They sound quite alike. I just listed to their recorded tone through headphones. so i can't be sure though :)

I havn't taken a phote of it yet. The one at the status page was the only one I could find. Here's a more accurate one
  7. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I returned the stutus to the dealer. It turned out it had a serious trussrod problem. The neck was ok when i bought it.I figured since it had graphite reinforcements in the neck, the truss wouldn't be a thing to check. Boy was i wrong.
    I got an acustic guitar and two ebs pedals instead. They wouldn't get me a refund since the bass was used.