Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i just bought the ampeg b2r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 8, 2003.

1. It is awsome, I bought it new at Daddy's Music Junky for around 575$. I've only been using it for like 30 minutes now, haha. It is hard to find a good eq setting, im looking for a jazz bass like growl, but i'll find it in time.Im running it with my avatar 2x10. I am thinking maybe on selling the avatar for a 4ohm version of the ampeg svt style 4x10, i dunno though. thanks for helping me make my decision on heads

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Congrats on buying a great sounding amp.

Make sure that you use it with very efficient cabinets or you'll be wanting more power very soon...

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He means that that head is great but not the most powerful one. If you use efficient cabs, you will have enough volume, but if you use less efficient cabs, it won't be loud enough.

4. whats considered an efficient cab?

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    SWR, Yorkville, Eden, Aguilar, etc. The Yorkville would be the cheapest and will look the coolest.

6. It's true, great sounding amp but it wasn't meant to be in matching up with my 93 dB sensitivity Sunn cab...

When I think efficiency, first manufacturer that comes to mind is Eden.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    And Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, I guess Avatar too.

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The Avatars are efficient. Bag End's too. Not only do you need an efficient cab with that thing, but you really need to run it at 4 Ohms. If that cab you're using now is 8 ohms, you won't believe how much louder it will get with a 4 ohm setup. Get one 4 Ohm 410, or add a cabinet to that 210 of yours. That's what I did. Two 8 ohm cabs = a 4 ohm load.

Here's what my stack looked like when I had that head (recently sold it)...

[​IMG]

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ampeg is probably the least efficient out of the list at 96db/m @ 1 watt.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks guys...that's what I meant.

a e i o u...it's really not hard to get a good sound out of the B2R... My favorite tone was to set the bass and treble controls at about 1 o'clock, the ultra mid at about 11 o'clock and gain and master volume to taste. I never used my graphic EQ because I just don't like the sound of them.

Enjoy!!!!

11. ok WHAT THE HECK!

when i turn up both pre gain and master volume, the amp sounds like a practice amp! it isnt loud at all! im using it as 200w @ 8ohm. It turn the volumes up and everything, and its pathetic, but then i release the -15db button, and its loud, but not that loud. it also makes it boomy and unclear!!!

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get another Avatar in 8-ohm so you can run it at the full 350 watts. Then it should be loud enough.

13. Whoa buddy, relax...You probably have a passive bass.

This means that you need the -15dB button OFF. When you are at this point, turn your master down and adjust the gain until it blinks periodically (when you're really hitting the strings). After that, you can adjust your master to the appropriate volume. You may want to set your tone settings to a default (you can find these in your manual)

And yes, you are going to want to add another 8ohm cab to create a 4ohm load.

(BTW, weren't you saying that it worked fine before?)

Trust me, everything is most likely going to be fine!
    (especially with the 5 year warrantee....you have that still, right?)

14. well, my bass is active, but its a low end bass. I guess im going to have to try it out tommaro with the other cab at the band practice spot. Im freaking out cause its alot of money i spent, and i make 90 bucks take home, every week, framing pictures in a sweat shop. my entire social life has been devoted to that place in order to have bass stuff.

15. You have the warranty, correct?
    Tell us how it goes tommorow.

BTW I'm glad to hear that you work hard to earn the things you have. I know exactly what you're talking about.

16. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    someone mentioned bag ends. I thought bag ends were terribly unefficient. I thought i remeber hearning that you needed an ungodly amount of watts to power them?

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Make sure you set your EQ on your bass flat at first, then dial in the amp tone, then adjust at the instrument if you need to.

As great as the B2R sounds, it's a lot less powerful than its 200 watts @8 ohms, 350 watts @ 4 ohms ratings would suggest...

Almost every B2R that I've seen on the band stand has its Limiter light flashing all the time when its in use...the poor amp just runs out of steam... That's why you need efficient cabinets (with lots of speaker area) to get the most out of it.

18. Well today at practice, i used a fender p delux passive bass of my friend's, as well as his 1x15 to go with my 2x10.

over all it i was happy with it, but the limiter light kept flashing through out playing, and it wasn't even that loud. loud enough though. I think that I definatly will need more speakers than just 3. Im thinking the 2x12 from avatar will make everything more efficient compared to 1x15. I can definatly tell im gonna need more speakers so i can have the same volumes, but not push the amp as hard.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A frequently flashing limiter light is a regular occurance with a B2R.

You ought to try using both the B2R and your Sessionbass amp together as you proposed in the other thread...