I just bought this Bass on eBay what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OneDrop76, Aug 18, 2005.

1. OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice matching headstock.

Overall, that's a sweet looking bass with a vintage vibe.

I have a set of Fralin Jazz pickups and they're excellent and very authentic/vintage sounding.

You got a really good deal. You could probably part it out for more than you made (not that you would, of course).
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's the coolest Mark Hoppus bass i've seen.
  4. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I own the same bass. As far as I'm concerned the original Quarter-Pounder pickup sounds great, so I don't know if that is an improvement. One of the things I like most about the design is no tone control. Why would you want that? It only takes away sound. EQ on the amp. Badass bridge is a big improvement, I don't like the original bridge. I was not impressed with the neck on my bass so that is probably an improvement. However getting a Jazz neck is not the right idea. The width is too small. Precision width is better for a serious player.
  5. OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD

First of all, I didn't buy it to sound like Mark Hoppus. It looks cool, and I like the idea of a precision pickup in a jazz body. My current bass has the Basslines quarter pound pickup, and I don't like it. It's powerful, but it simply doesn't have the warm, vintage sound that I want. And I prefer the smaller neck, as I am a recently converted guitar player, so maybe I don't qualify as serious yet. Plus I play a lot of reggae, so I need that tone knob to roll it off for some dub stylee. So to each his own, rock on...
  6. i like it... personally, it's got all the goodies i would want on that type of bass. good snag. :)
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That bass is gonna work nicely for you...I have a P that I use for some heavy roots n' dub and rolled off (especially those with those Fralins) you're going to get some really nice fat boom. In fact, I believe the pickups on my current #1 are P pickups disguised as soapbars an' they boom fi a wicked reggae sound. The Jazz neck in nice and comfy too...I have two Jazz basses and the necks on those things are like being home.
  8. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    sounds like it's perfect for you man, good buy. it makes me wonder why the original seller didn't just buy what he wanted, but, hey. glad you could pick it up
  9. Very nice! Something about a P pickup on a Jazz body has never looked right to me, but that's just a personal deal. Looks like it's gonna be a great player and definately a unique looking instrument.
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

Are you frickin serious??? :rolleyes:
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    You sir, are incorrect in that statement. Precision width is better for your personal tastes....
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a sweet lookin' bass. I hope you enjoy it. :bassist:
  13. Wow, are you kidding me?!?! I think that is the single most arragant post I have ever had the misfortune to read on TB. Hey, can you please tell me what I should eat for breakfast tomorrow, and what shirt I should wear to my next gig? I could really use the help of such a knowledgeable, and serious bass player as yourself. Maybe one day I can be as serious of a bassist as you! :hyper: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Comments like this will make you a lot of friends.
  15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Thats really, really nice. Love the block inlays. Since I am more of a comedic player, I tend to prefer Jazz necks.
  16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    This has got to be one of the funniest things I've read here in a few days!!!!
    I guess guys like Marcus Miller and Will Lee don't qualify as "serious players"!!!
    LMAO x 2!!!
    BAH HA HA!!!!
    News flash, it called personal preference skippy.

Just the other day I was letting a friend of mine borrow an extra bass that I have for sale (a Modulus Gensis 5-still for sale BTW ;) ) to show to his bass player.
    This guy (his bass player) is a sorta nice guy, but couldn't groove to save a baby seal if he had to. Anyway, he checks out the bass and says something about the action being too low and how, and get this, by being low it's a crutch that players who can't really dig in and "play" use.
    I've forgotten more gigs and get more calls for gigs than this mullet having, Steinberger 5 string playing, no groove having ass clown will play.
    Man, it's PREFERENCE!!

But back to the topic, man that bass does look sweet. I'm a sucker for that Sea Foam Green with matching headstock. Nice score!
  17. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I like it. Really like the sea foam green. Bottom line is if you like it and the sound, that's all that matters.
  18. Very nice bass. I have just purchased a similar bass neck from Warmoth to add to my Reggie Hamilton standard. I have a Allparts neck too with block inlays. I will probably sell it though. I just have a thing for Warmoth bass necks. I also like the skinny Jazz neck. I, like Jaco, Marcus Miller, Reggie Hamilton, etc., etc. am not a seriouss bass player. ;)
  19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Best laugh I had all week there kid.

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    ps: I like that bass.