Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought yet another bass...Fender Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pcked up a Fender Aerodyne Jazz. They just released them with a pickguard and chrome electronics plate. This one is gray with a black pickguard. Plays and sounds nice. Got a nice punch with the P-pup in it. Anyone else picked one up?

This is my 5th Fender in 3 years. Got rid of the MIA-Std P, the Geddy Lee and now want to sell my relatively new MIA 75 Reissue w/BADASSII added (any takers? :D). I will prolly stick it up on eBay before the weekend is over. Kept my first Fender, which is a Blonde MIA-Std Jazz. That's my baby and no other Fender has come close to feel and tone of that one.

Why doesn't the Fender site have anything up about the Aerodynes yet? Or am I missing it?:confused:

2. Nice score! Got any pics? The store here in town has two of them. Just wondering, since they had a curved top I wondered how they stick a pick guard on that. They were nice though.

On there site (it has been there for quite a while):
    http://www.fender.com/misc/winternamm2003/0254500_506.html

jtbp

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    joel, i'll post some pics in a bit. thanks for the link, i just found it myself as you were replying. didn't know it would be under Squier though. :confused:

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    adding a pic or 2. did these with my webcam so they suck! :D

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    and another

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am so conflicted...... I am placing my order (finally) on tuesday for my next bass. I wanted a Geddy Lee Jazz for a while, but I played an Aerodyne, and they are sooo sweet sounding. They just slightly hurt my arm :meh: .

ahhhhhhh!

7. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hurt your arm? how so?

as a former geddy lee owner, so far i like the aerodyne better. the p-pups give it some added depth that the geddy couldn't reach, IMHO.

8. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You know how the top isn't rounded? IT is uh... sorry I can't explain it, but you know what I am talking about. Well, when i rest my arm on it, it just hurts after a while. I agree that it sounds MUCH better than the Geddy.

9. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    I hope you don't mind me asking but, how much was it? I'm ready for a new bass and this looks like almost what I'd want.

josh

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    $619.00+$39 for a hard/soft Gator case.

11. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    How about the arm thing with me? You don't have this problem?

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know what you mean, but it hasn't bothered me...yet.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OK, now it's starting to bother me. ***? that thing needs a bevelled edge for sure.

14. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i love the aerodyne bass,its definetly a keeper. i play one everytime i go a guitar center(more like drool over it).fender really hit the nail on the head w/ this one.:D good luck w/ it

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To be honest with you, I think I am taking it back tomorrow. That thing really started digging into my arm like a mofo. The top is curved, but not enough to compensate for the sharp edge.

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah.... if they made a smoother version of this bass, I would definatley get one. It has killer tone, but it's just too painful for me to sit down and play.

17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Buy a arm/sweat band. It will surely remedy the edges harshness. I think something as small as that could be overlooked.

18. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, that is an interesting idea, but I really dont think it would help that much- and it would be a pain to have to put it on each time you want to play.

19. My Rickenbacker 4003 has the same thing - hard edged white binding on the black body... I only find it a problem when I have it slung real low, or when I sit playing it for a few hours straight.

*shrug*

Consider a shorter strap?

--jeff

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In the way that i play and hold the bass, a shorter strap would not help, neither would longer. i have messed up hands (from 16 years of drums) and finding a comfortable position is difficult. I'm trading it back in and will pick up another MIA jazz.