I just broke my E string string!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Feb 17, 2002.

1. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I literally 5 seconds ago just broke my E string!!!!!! I was just sittin here reading some posts and playing along to Stinkfist by tool and snap there it goes. I'm so befuddled!! I know it's happened to most of you, but this is definitely a first for me!!

oh well, you can go back to your lives now :)
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just fix your E string on put it back on there. Its really easy to do if you broke it at the bridge.
  3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    how do you fix it if it's now two different strings? :)
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001

Just go buy a new E string for $5.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    oh, and stop buying rogue strings!

6. The worst strings about breaking...that I've had were Elixirs. Glad I bought 2 sets :rolleyes: . Broke every single one of them ,except the B, over 6 months.

Best about life I've ever had...GHS boomers. Never broken one. Ever. Ever. D'addarios...seem hit and miss. Broken a couple.

But fix a string? ***? This ain't a guitar w/ a floyd rose.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  8. glad to know i'm not the only one who uses GHS strings!
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can indeed fix a broken string if it breaks near the bridge end, and you have a little extra wrapped around the tuning peg. It works better with thinner strings, and works great with guitar strings.

Unwind the old core from the ball end, and then strip back enough core on the remaining string to wrap around the ball end. Wrap it around the ball end and then twist it around itself 6 or 7 times with some pliers. For extra security, put a dab of solder on the twist, and also on the end of the winding, so it won't unravel from the strings.

I knew an old guitarist who liked the sound of dead strings. He would wind all of the extra string around the tuning post. When he broke a string between the soundhole and bridge(which is where they almost always break on an acoustic) he would do this trick and still have broken in sounding strings after the repair. He typically got 3-4 years out of a set of strings. He only changed them when there wasn't enough left to do the repair.
  10. At least you don't have a guitar playing bro who enjoys hurting you by snipping his way through you strings with a pair of wire cutters, one by one :)

:oops: :)
  11. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Just buy a new string. Its no big deal. You'll break more as time goes on. Dont "fix" anything just get a new one.
  12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001

And if by rogue you mean Ernie Balls, then thanks for the advice :p
  13. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    wow that sucks :)
  14. peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    I just soldered the Chromes C string that broke on my 6 string fretless. At the nut end. With a little luck it may hold for a while. And you smarty pants that tell us to just go out, stop being cheap and "just buy another string": OK, tell me where, pray tell, am I going to get a Chromes C string, say a 0.032, or maybe just a whole new set of 6, at this or any other hour, in this or any other place, to replace this one? I'm listening ...

Anyway, if the string breaks between the nut and the tuner, you can make a hook in a piece of solid wire, like a guitar string, make a little hook in the broken end of the bass string, hook one in the other, crimp the hooks down with pliers, then wrap the splice with fine stranded copper wire to allow solder to bond well, and solder the whole contraption.

Meanwhile, have our "just buy a string" folks found a Chromes C string or a set of 6 I can go buy? I didn't think so, they don't sell 6 string sets, nor a loose C string, in Chromes. Splicing strings is a useful skill.

Oct 10, 2008
    +1 It's only a string. How the hell do you break an E string?
    I could understand the G and D from popping, but an E?
    You must play your bass like an UPRIGHT! :bassist:
    In my 11 yrs of playing I never broke a string on a bass.
  16. great - now, thanks to reading this, I'm going to have to start bringing 2 basses on gigs! the "fear" is rising up!!:eek::(:bawl::atoz:

17. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    8 miles high
    I played with a gui**** who did that once ........... but he's dead now :meh:
  18. i didnt know it was physically possible to break an E string on bass...makes me question if im picking hard enough.
  19. madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Yea. I've broken 2 B strings while playing elixars.

they suck.