Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Just Built A Website For My Art-Please Check It Out

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For those of you who don't know, my main activity (and source of income) is as a painter. I just finished building a website that has a bunch of images and info on my art, and I'd love it if you ladies and gents gave it a look-over and tell me what you think. I'm no web designer, so things may not look super-professional, but I did my best. This is the address:
    http://www.bryanrtyler.com

Thanks in advance!

2. I like it!

very good navigation. simple and straightforward, just the way a website should be.

one thing though, the right-most part of the site is just empty when viewed maximized(might be ok at 800x600 resolution). those banners at the top and bottom would look better if they stretched over the whole screen, IMO

very nice paintings, btw. :D

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I'm not a huge fan on the banner not reaching the end either. I was using a provided web-builder (not just typing out html), and I haven't been able to lenghten it to the end of the page. I'll probably get out my old html book and figure it out this week.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Looks good! I love "breakdown lane". I agree, the navigation is simple but very refreshing.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Very nice work! You have a minds eye of beauty. A gift for many, used by the few!

Thank you!

:)

6. You got the gift dude. I liked how your paining looked a little near-sighted, yet clear. Very nice breezy interface. Keep it up dude.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Damn! Impressive body of work! I admire the dedication you seem to have to your art. I especially liked the oils. I'm not too good at critiquing artwork but I know I like when I see consistency in someone's paintings (that you can tell they're all from the same person), and I like when I immediately get a feeling when I see a painting. Yours did both.

The site was also easy to navigate, images downloaded really quickly. It does the job without a lot of fluff. I've been to other artists websites where it takes me forever to get the idea of what the person does.

The only thing that struck me as odd was the legally blind statement. I've been legally blind since I was about 6 years old, and the invention of glasses (and later contact lenses) has made that not an issue in my life in the least. It's something that NEVER crosses my mind - until i take my contacts out at night :) . I believe the same may be true for lots of others. It gave me the impression that you were looking for unneeded sympathy, or somehow want to let people know - "hey, i can do this and i'm handicapped also". I never saw being legally blind as a handicap in the least, and I so totally think your work stands on it's own without the need to mention that. only my opinion.

if your legal blindness is something that you weren't able to correct (and diferent from my and I think others definition) you may want to clarify it.

best of luck. great site.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Excellent! Great paintings :)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I never thought of that. My form of legal blindness started at birth, and basically made it so the nerves in my eyes could not mature properly, so corrective lenses (glasses or contacts) can only help so much, and my sight is still 20/200 with them on. I'll think about putting something like that in the bio, Joe.

BTW, thanks for all the kind words everyone! I always appreciate any honest comments about my work, both good and bad.

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Like the website and the art. Good job on both.

12. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    nice paintings
    I would suggest two things about the site.

first, have that banner fade into the background on the right side either in a smooth gradient manner or.. I dont know how to put it.. like this

//////////////////// ///// /// // /
    /////////////////// ///// /// // /
    ////////////////// ///// /// // /
    ///////////////// ///// /// // /

And lose the bottom bar.

13. Very cool artwork. The site makes its point well, it is not as you said the ultimate in professionalism, but I don't think it has to be. It is laid out very well and gives the information you need it to give. All in all, Good Job.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    website= good work
    paintings = better work

15. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    the site is ok. as you mentioned, not a "work of art" but functional nonetheless. i actually like simple yet elegant designs better than all those flash/java pages.

the artwork is definately great. i'm not one to tell you what exactly is making those paintings/drawings interesting/good, so the compliment alone has to suffice. :)

16. Bryan, man, your stuff is great!

Without trying to sound like an art critic (which I'm not) the ones I like the best are: Y bailamos, Good Sunday, and Last Days of Summer.

Slow Return made me stop and look too.

Now, I must say that your sketch, "Leaning Nude," is equal to anything I've seen by one of my favorite artists, John William Waterhouse.

Permit me to echo what Freaky Fender said, "You got the gift, dude."

Give us more. :)

Mike :cool:

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks a lot, Mike! I've got several hundred more figure drawings that I'll someday archive on the site, but for the moment I wanted the site's focus to be on my oils. And I'll do my best to keep making more. :) Your comments mean a lot to me.

18. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Your website looks great and your art is amazing. :D

19. Really cool art Bryan. My favorite is "Wilting Flowers", but I also like your buildings. I used to do lots of photography (and am getting back into it) and buildings were my fav subjects.

And I would agree with most of the comments on the site- very good overall.

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    hey, i really love your art, well done.