I just can't figure the LS-2 out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Noshtero, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Noshtero

Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    All I want to do is blend my clean signal with my effects signal. Is that so hard?

The goal:
    Blend my clean signal with my effects signal in the hopes that I will retain some low end

The setup:
    Bass -> LS-2.
    LS-2 channel A going through effects and back into LS-2.
    LS-2 channel B empty, nothing plugged in. I'm told that leaving channel B completely open will make it work like a clean signal.
    LS-2 output -> compressor -> noise gate -> tuner -> amp

The issues:
    Even at unity gain, the LS-2 seems to clip and put a substantial buzz coming from the cab.
    If I set the levels on A and B to the same, I get zero output. I have to set one higher than the other.
    I turned off everything but the LS-2 and I still get the buzz. Again, I'm pretty sure I'm not clipping the amp.

Help please.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    Sounds like one of your pedals is inverting the polarity, and at unity gain, the two loops are cancelling each other. Try the LS2 with nothing in either loop, then add pedals one at a time until you find the problem pedal.

3. Noshtero

Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    OK. Step 1, the Decimator was causing the cancellation. Anything I can do about it?

Step 2, so far the TC Dreamscape is causing the clipping I think. I ran through the dreamscape alone, buzz. I ran through my Ashdown NM2 alone, no buzz. I'll try the rest of the effects pedals and narrow down the culprit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    BassikLee likes this.
  4. Noshtero

Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The culprit was the NM2, which is now going back. I may be doing something wrong but it drops the pass through volume to almost nothing. Once you kick the overdrive on it comes back up but with the pedal off it drops to nothing, which made me account for it in a later gain stage, and caused the clipping. Either way, I think the overdrive on the NM2 is crap. Sucks ALL the low end out. Back she goes. I'll pay the retu

I had a Joyo Ultimate Drive show up today.... muuuuch better. I would like two levels of overdrive on demand... so time for another UD and I'm done.... or maybe try the American and get some EQing. we'll see.

I'm holding off on the Decimator for now. The only reason I had it on there was to kill the horrible hiss coming off my VT Bass Deluxe, which has since been pulled because I plain out don't like it.

I would still like to know about the polarity thing and if there is any way to use the Decimator in the future.

Thanks BassikLee!

BassikLee likes this.
  5. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Run it before or after the LS2, or run it in a selectable chain that's NOT blended.
    Or, find another pedal that also inverts phase, and stick that in the same chain and you can blend away because the phase inversion will cancel out and it will be back to "normal."
    Or, purchase a blend pedal that has phase inversion switches, there's a few out there.

No other way around it, sorry.

6. Noshtero

Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I had it outside the blend. The output from the LS2 went into compressor, into Decimator, and into the amp.
    It's cool though. If I ever end up needing it I'll play around. Thanks!

7. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    No worries. Glad I could help.