i just can't get it!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sashi.d, Apr 8, 2002.

1. sashi.d

Apr 8, 2002
    I have only been playing for 2 years so compared to some of you guys i'm a beginner, anyway i have two dilemmas
    1. Not matter how much i try i can't seem to find the harmonic notes on the fretboard to play victor wootens improv amazing grace, can someone gimme a hand:confused:
    2. I heard there was a site with the tabs for havona I would love to be able to play this piece
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On 1 - some basses and strings are better at producing harmonics than others - although it could be a technique thing as well.

So - on a Jazz bass, if you boost the bridge pickup and have bright roundwound strings you can hear harmonics better. If your bass is poorly set up or has dull strings it may be hard to hear some harmonics. The more accurate you are as well, the clearer you will hear them.

ON 2 - lucas pickford's site has a complete transcription of Havona - which is also in the Real Book - try here :

3. sashi.d

Apr 8, 2002
    thanks a heap mate
    i think i'll put that in the 'work on in 10 years time section' (i freaked out when i saw it was sheet music)
    one thing though, it seems there is only 2 pages, a piece that long should have more pages shouldn't it?
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - this is Jazz man!! ;)

So what you have is a "head" - the tune! Followed by a chord sequence which the players will improvise solos over. So the soloing section is 22 bars which constitutes a "chorus" in Jazz terms. Each soloist might take several choruses, but I think on the recording they about take 2 choruses each - so you have like piano, sax and bass solos, then the head again and a coda to finish off.

Most Jazz pieces are fitted to one page of A4, but can easily last 10 - 15 minutes in live performance!!

2 pages of A4 means a pretty complex arrangement! ;)
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I've never heard Vic's version, but I have figured out a way to play it using harmonics. Here are the strings and positions to help get you started:

Amazing Grace d5 g5 g4g5g4
    How sweet the sound d7 g5 a7 d5
    that saved a wretch d5 g5 g4g5g4
    like me d7 g7
    I once was lost g4d5 g4g5g4
    but now I'm found d7 g5 a7 d5
    was blind d5 g5
    but now I see g4g5g4 d7 g5

-Hope that helps.
  6. [​IMG]

there you go :)

Some strings produce more harmonix.. specially nickels have it..
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

To play all of the notes in the melody for Amazing Grace, you will have to use some in between harmonics, i.e. between two frets instead of over a fret.

Also, besided needing roundwounds and soloing the bridge pickup, you have to pluck really hard, near the bridge. The harder you pluck, the better the harmonic will come out.