1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just can't get over this bassline...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jsbass, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
  2. Great song.

3. I never noticed the bass line in this song, even though I have heard it many times and love it. Strange how bass sometimes works in subconscious ways :)

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I must be missing something. I could barely hear what the bass was playing and when i could it was kinda boring :confused:

5. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    +1 I'm afraid...

6. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The bass line fits the song. Something busier, and more interesting to modern listeners, would not. The song's about the vocal, and the storytelling.

The bassist is playing lots of octaves on beats 2 and 4, either straight pluck or sliding into them. I used to think that gave the song a sort of nautical feel. Harder to hear that on this cell phone recording than on the original.

7. I'm not sure if he was using a fretless but a fretless would sound great playing that bass line. The song itself is kind of cool but to me the bass line's a little redundant. My old boss loved that song though.

8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
  9. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Yes, definitely gives it that nautical feel.