Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just caught a car thief!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Well, I've had an exciting day. Went snowboarding in the morning, did a band rehearsal in the evening with our band's ex-drummer...oh ya, I caught a car thief.

When I was coming back from my band rehearsal (around midnight), I saw the auto-sensor light in the front of my house was on. I pulled into the driveway and left my carlights on. I looked in my garage (an open carport) and there's this *#(&( hiding in the shadows. I start screaming at him (Who the #*($ are you? What are you doing in my garage?).

Anyways, he comes out and says he was only trying to keep warm. I'm freaking out at him and suddenly, he's legging it down the street.

I ran after him (it was snowing like crazy too) and pulled out my cell phone. Fortunately, my cell actually worked so I'm screaming at the emergency operator and chasing this mofo in the snow.

Fortunately, a passing minivan stopped and chased the guy down the street backwards. The thief eventually stopped running when the minivan caught up to him. I'm still yelling at him, yelling into my cell phone and trying not to flip out 100%.

Anyways the cops arrived and they tell me that they can't arrest him for breaking and entering because technically there is no breaking and enter with an open carport. They can't even book him for trespass even though he's hiding in my freakin' garage with the intention to do god-knows-what.

Good news, kind of. Turns out buddy had a stolen car stereo in his backpack. After they told me they couldn't book him, the operator came back and informed them of a stolen stereo earlier in the evening.

Anyways, that's the whole damn story. But what really gets me is that that mofo knows where I live and the cops won't let me know who he is. I think I have every right to know who he is and where he lives so I can #$#* him over. He'll probably got a few days in jail and be let go. Bastard.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, i didn't think crap like that happened in canada.

did he only have one eye? there's a reason why i'm asking :)

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ok,now....this (possible) situation intrigues me more than the car thief.

Follow up?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Are you serious?

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You left out the part about the beating. There was a beating right?

7. If it was me chasing him and I wasn't pissed/scared I would drop dead after 2 blocks of running in snow.

8. yeah i would have screamed "BOOT TO THE FACE!" or something along the line while...well yeah

im so violent at times.....

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dude's lucky you're not the gun-totin' type.

brad cook

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Also, did he have six fingers on his right hand. I am looking for a six fingered man. And when I find this six fingered man I will say to him, "Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!"

11. Actually, here in Scotland, they've only just introduced the first trespassing law, and that's only so they've got something to prosecute the GM crop-trial protestors with.

It doesn't affect people wandering about on others' property.

I don't know about breaking and entering though.

And I don't have any stories to share - it's boring out here.

I'm with Moley on this point though - are you serious?

12. way to go. if i could i would give you a high 5. and that is crap about trespassing. that ticks me off. he was on your property hiding. geesh. remind me not to piss you off lol j/k:D

13. That's why you need a BlackJack

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

And vice versa.

15. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

.....beat him to a pulp matt ;)

16. I don't have a blackjack but I do have 7 years of martial arts. Fortunately, he never advanced on me so the thought of hitting him never crossed my mind (at first). When he took off, that's when the thought of kicking the crap out of him really took hold. (I actually thought of letting him go for a split second but then thought, HELL if I'm going to let you get away).

My god, the adrenaline rush was incredible. After the cops put him in the car and I wasn't running/screaming/threatening, I felt totally weak and my limbs were shaking like crazy.

As for the trespassing (Trespass at night), the cop said that wouldn't fly. He didn't even want to book him for that. A few seconds after he said that, I heard the radio say they had a report filed on a stolen Pioneer car stereo. So the focus shifted and I left it at that. (Oh yeah, about the snow...maybe it was snowing like crazy but you try chasing some dude down an icy street. It wasn't fun.)

I dropped by the police station to obtain a copy of the report but they said I should contact the officer when he gets back on shift, next Thursday. I can't rest until I know where this mofo lives.

As for the ex-drummer...he's got better timing and chops but he overplays. He likes to throw in a complicated fill at the end of every fourth bar and has no concept of musical space. I actually prefer the style of our current drummer (who is still a work in process). Funny, one of his roommates thought we were auditioning drummers behind his back!

Additional: Yeah, what a weekend. Less than 9 hours after the car thief incident, I wake up to my friend calling me 'cause another friend of mine was flipping out BIG TIME on drugs. I called 911 'cause I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack. He had taken a huge hit of marijuana this morning but had taken ecstasy (sp?) and some "poppers" around 3am (at an after-hours place). He was flipping out, puking, losing consciousness and freaking out in general so I had him taken to the hospital for monitoring.

Like, what the? I'm just a meek accountant, I shouldn't have to deal with this crap. :mad:

17. Yeah Smash, I'm going to call the investigating officer tomorrow and ask to speak with him in person. The thought of this guy getting away scot-free does NOT fly with me.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Find out who he is, your 7 years, and my 5, = Kickass. I mean seriously, would ANYONE on here go to someones garage to "keep warm"? hell, go to freaking wal mart, don't go in someones garage, thats wrong. Like "WHY ARE YOU SO MAD? I JUST CLIMBED ON YOUR ROOF TO SEE THE FREAKING STARS! SHEESH! WHAT A BUTTHOLE!".....Come on, your asking for it.

19. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    There have been a few cases in Australia that i know of that people have broken into someone elses house and in the process they have fallen over or slipped and have sued the owners of the house. Even though the owner didnt invite them in.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's also happen in America. Amazingly enough, sometime the plaintiff wins. :rolleyes: