Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just dealt with my first real bout of Spontaneous GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raycer, Dec 28, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Went to the music shop with my brother to pick up his Gibson SG Guitar he had on Layaway. While he was paying for it, me and my girl were looking around at the basses and the used section. In the corner of the used section was this fender bass case, and I thought it would be a cool case for my squier, if the price was cheap enough. So I go and pick up the case to see the price and it's heavy, I open it up and inside is a absolutely gorgeous black MIA P bass. It was mint, with a balock on white pickguard and a maple neck. The action on it was perfect. A bit lower than normal and pretty much the same as I have on my Dean. I sounded sweet unplugged.

They wanted $595 including the case for it. I was so tempted to put it on Layaway but I really do want a 5 string Stringray so I resisted, though a MIA P Bass has always been a goal to have in my collection one day. I fear my resistance may be futile if it's still there when I go back though ;)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you really want a SR5 then the worst thing you can do is buy another bass in the meantime. It may be fun at first but if the SR5 is what you truly want then you will be kicking yourself for wasting your money.

3. Very True!!! Get the bass you really want...

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't know that I'd call buying the black P at $595 a waste of money. Assuming it's in good condition you could always get your money (maybe not as a trade but as an out-right sale) out of it. If that's the asking price you might get it cheaper. Never hurts to have a P.

5. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY

That's what I have been trying to tell myself as well :)

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its what i told myself everytime i went to the Rondomusic site and they had a new , interesting bass. I was saving up for a new bass and that would just set me back. It may look interesting at the time, but ive learned that i suck at making impulse buys.

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Mmmm... black/black MIA P with a maple neck...

There's one just like that at a shop near me. I want it so bad. :crying:

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    If it was black on red tort it would be so much sweeter! :bassist:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats the color scheme of my Sterling, quite nice. Although a tort pg is nice as well.