Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just don't understand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    WHy people pay upwards of $1500 and more for P, J, and P/J basses from luthiers such as mike lull and Roger Sadowsky.

I am 100% sure that they make excellent basses because too many people consistently endorse their basses. I played a mike lull P bass at the NAMM show this year (his booth was downstairs) and it was awesome and had a wonderful P tone. BUt 1500, for a passive bass.... I'd rather get a custom one built so at least it will sound good and look like a custom. FOr that kind of money you get the best of both worlds.

I am aware that sadowski does his own electronics but I would much rather stick with a decent fender and ship it to him to have his electronics installed. I happen to have a killer SX that has nice tone. A switch to sadowski electronics would probably put in on par (as far as tone) with an american fender tone or maybe even a sadowski tone.

I just don't understand the appeal for that type of price tag.

Someone educate me

2. SADOWSKY.......Sorry, but I'm a stickler for correct names.:D

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Here we go again

Rob

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Nothing like a nice topic like this to start off Monday. :rollno:

Tell him, boys . . .

5. Search please.... literally thousands of posts regarding this issue.... from those who think (insert various bass brands here) cost too much and asking why anyone would buy them... and thousands of additional posts from people who did buy them explaining why they are worth every penny.:meh:

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Uhhh, by who? Valenti is like one of the very few I can think of, and it is definitely nearing that range.

7. you said it all man.
    and not trying to be a jerk, but i HIGHLY doubt that even if you through sadowsky eletronics in an SX it would sound/play like a sadowsky.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Personally, I think it's a bit unfair to compare Sadowskys to standard Fenders. They're more like custom shop Fenders because they're hand made. If you order a Custom Shop Fender, it will cost you more than a Sadowsky. US handmade instruments aren't cheap, unfortunately.

9. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    They aren't cheap from Germany or Spain, either ;)

... I say eyeing Ritters and Drozds...

10. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Because the people who choose basses such as these can. :meh:

I don't know if you've ever played some of the brands you question (given you comments I suspect you have not) but, I'm sure that if you have the skill, experience and appreciation of finer intruments such as these you will do your utmost to own one. This applies to any brand of top end instrument.

As with most threads of this type this is'nt going to go anywhere good :rollno:

11. You know where to get a Sadowsky or a Lull for $1500?!?!?!?!? Where, where? Sign me up! One of each!:D

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh $1500 for a sadowsky? Try $3000.

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Let me put it this way. Based on looks alone...I got to see a Benevente and a Garrison Fodera up close last week, worth the price tag...BEAUTIFUL!

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    So, what you're saying is: If I put Bentley seats in a Kia........

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    You're arse would be feelin really good at 50 mph!

16. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Like I said ?

Rob

18. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

?? I dont need to prove anything to anyone. What if I suck? Whats the difference? Whats the difference what bass I use? Whats the point of this thread?

Rob

19. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Exactly. Wise asses like you make it very difficult, though. I wonder what its like to be an expert on everything. Enlighten me

Rob

20. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Grain of salt? Just a troll

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.