1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just fixed my Peavey amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Busker, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Nothing major, but I fixed it. And its a good thing too, its my only amp at the moment. Peavey Max 700 head.

When I shut it off last night after practice it was working. This morning I was going to practice again, but the amp wasn't working right. It turned on and you could hear some sound through the speakers, but alternately quiet, then sputtering loudly if I tried to plunk harder on the strings.

Anyway, I had to disassemble it, and found a loose ground connection that connects to the front control panel assembly. That fixed it and I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet, although it took a few hours and a trip to Radio Shack for some electronics spray cleaner. I figured I'd clean the pots since they needed it, while it was torn apart.

If that would have happened on a gig....

I know, I need a backup head.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Good job Busker, feels kinda good to fix your own stuff, dont ya think?
    If they ever drop the big one, you'll probably be one of the survivors.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Most of the time I've seen a problem with a Peavey amp, it's usually been one of the ground connections between the boards...

- georgestrings

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thank you both.

That's good to know. In this case, it was a tubular-shaped connector that fits on a post. Somehow, the fit had become too loose, so I crimped the connector slightly for a tight fit. If it ever happens again, I'll look into soldering it. Yeah, you'd have to de-solder it if you ever needed to take the amp apart, but it would be that much more reliable, don't you think?

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I wouldn't solder it - what I've done with good success is use a dental pick(or anything that'll fit in there), and carefully pry the split in the barrel connector back into being a tight fit on the post... I also clean any corrosion off the post, before reinstalling the ground connector - and I've never had to revisit one of those amps I've fixed in this manner...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    While on the subject of repairing Peavey amps - I've got a 2nd T-Max on the way whose Master volume pot is sheared off completely... A new pot will probably cost well under $10, and I've already got a few spare knobs for it - I'll wait 'til I actually have it in hand before I order up the new pot, just in case there's anything else I need... It'll probably take me an hour to strip it down, replace the pot, blast it out with compressed air, clean/lube all the pots, sliders, and jacks - and check/tighten any loose connections, and fix any solder joints that look iffy(not likely)... When it's said and done, I'll have a freshly serviced T-Max for well under $225 - not bad for a 500 watt hybrid that'll handle 2ohms...

I'm currently rocking a T-Max, and it just plain crushes - I get compliments on my tone all the time, and I rarely get above 1.5 on the master volume...

- georgestrings

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I'll look into the T-Max. Never tried one.

I've had several Peaveys though. I had an old Series 400 head or some such, can't remember the name exactly, it was from about 1974. It was OK, nothing to write home about, but it was the first real bass amp I bought. Also had a TNT combo. It was good. Then came a Firebass 700 which was good until it blew (probably my fault), then this Max 700.

I like Peavey fine. But I'd like to try some other brands of heads too. No money at this point however.