I just fixed the dead spots on my Jazz Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Sep 8, 2004.

1. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I just fixed the dead spots on my 2001 USA Fender Standard Jazz. I had three dead spots on my G string at a 5,6,7 frets. I changed the tuners to Hipshot HB6Y and now it's gone. I absolutely love this bass and was willing to pay up to $500 to have it fixed. The neck is so perfect on this bass and now the whole balance is perfect because of less weight on the neck. I know there has been a lot of talk about adding weight to the headstock to get rid of dead spots, so my question is, what if you remove some weight. It worked in my case, has anyone else tried this method successfully.

2. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, I've heard the same thing about adding weight. Now I'm completely confused...... :confused:
  3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I added 3 giant a** washers on the E, A and G string (the D didnt fit cause the headstock was too small) and it seemed to have fixed the problem, and my bass still ballances.
  4. well, any change in weight changes the overall resonance of the bass and shifts the dead spots around. if you're lucky, they'll shift to someplace where you don't notice 'em.