Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just found a kay on the street!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by McBass, Jun 17, 2004.

1. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    20 minutes ago my wife called me from her cell phone to ask if I knew that there was a body of a bass outside. I ran to the window and saw a fairly intact bass body laying next to the trash can on the curb. I ran down and grabbed it and brought it in just before a thunder storm unleashed. I looked inside and the label says "genuine Kay bass viol model:c1 serial #28241". Its gamba cornered and round backed.

Any help in identifying year?

Its fairly intact considering it just came out of the trash, probably after years in a puddle in some basement. The front, back, sides, and blocks are all there. They're only partially glued and there's only half of a neck heel with a couple of dowels coming out of it. The front and back have no cracks, just some significant scratches and some mild ply separation. The edges are pretty good. There was even a remarkably true sound post rattleing around inside. Another interesting feature; there seems to be a round "sound post platform" glued on the back. Maybe to give a flat surface for post fitting?

New York streets are amazing on trash days!

If someone tells me how, I'll post some pics.

2. Very cool! I confess that I always keep my eyes peeled on garbage day and when I pass yard sales. You never know.

The sound post platform, I think, is something that is common to Kays and Engelhardts. At least, my Engel has one.

3. What luck! Where in Brooklyn are you? I need to go there on trash day. :ninja:

4. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Probably not worth it. There's usually only 3 or 4 basses a month on the street on my block. Hardly every carved. I've only seen one 300 year old Italian in 2 years.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Oh yea???? What street is that exactly?

6. MacBass, thanks for making me spit my coffee all over the keyboard.
    R2

7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas

Nice find!
    Kay serial #28241 would indicate a 1952 bass. Model C1 was the basic student level instrument. The reinforcement for the soundpost is standard on these. Engelhardt necks are available as replacements if you want to go that route (they are very skinny).

8. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Kind of an out of place question...
    Is there a website where I can plug in my Kay's serial number and find out what year it was made? Just woudl like to know. Thanks in advance!

9. Well then I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.

10. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas

http://www.kaybass.com/mnfgdates.htm

Roger Stowers has compiled a great deal of information at kaybass.com, as well as a registration database.

11. Holy ****!

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Hey, Mike, have you heard the "trash day" story concerning an NYC bassist with initials D. E.?

13. Ed, I know you were talking to the other Mike, but I think I know the story you're talking about. Sorta the opposite of what happened to McCheese?

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    c'mon fellas...spill it !

15. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That is why I love Brooklyn and NYC...Some peoples trash is our treasure.

Matt

16. Come on Ed...i've heard it.....let everybody in on it.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK. Using initials to protect the innocent.

This guy is geting ready to go on tour to Europe and it's bright and early in the morning. he's got his ride on the way, he takes his bass in its Gage case down the stoop to the street and walks back up to grab his luggage. Just up to the top of the stoop and right inside the front door, it ain't like he's leaving it unattended. Anyway, it's trash day and you don't really notice the trucks anymore, they fade right into the background. he turns around to come down the stairs to see the sanitation guys throwing the case into the back of the garbage truck. He managed to get to them before they turned the crusher on....

18. If that is the guy I'm thinking of, he's married to a gal from my town. His mother-in-law lives here and comes to a lot of gigs, and she loves to tell that story.

19. OUCH!

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Essiet Essiet lost his bass this way. I confirmed it with him. He came downstairs just in time to see the jaw go through the middle of the case. Charles Sibirsky's friend Maury is the lawyer that got the money out of the city. It took a couple of years.

Who's the "D.E." story? I haven't heard that one.