1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just found my old Virtual Boy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, May 1, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Anyone ever have one of these? I have Galactic Pinball and Red Alarm right now, and I know I have Mario Tennis and another one I can't remember right now floating somewhere... Anybody got some of those old games laying around?

2. I played one once, though I can't remember where. Mario Tennis was the game I remember playing. I don't really remember if I liked the game or not, but I absolutely love the N64 version.

It seems obvious now that the Virtual Boy was doomed to fail - you've really got to wonder what they were thinking with that one. Or maybe it just seems like a bad idea now, in hindsight...

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I always liked it. It's really fun, but you do have to give yourself some breaktime. Your eyes get really used to the darkness, and a well lit room can be painful. I took off the little shroud to keep some ambient lighting so my eyes don't get so fatigued.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It was the only Nintendo system I never bought. I could never stand it...just thought it was a bad idea.

5. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    Got a stand up, original Asteroids game in the den. Everything works but the coin slots. :D

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Still got it? Want to get rid of it?

Edit: I'm dumb.

7. Nintendo's made some poor decisions ("Wii"?) but I'll always respect their innovation. Virtual Boy was pretty darn cool.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Another entry from the "It seemed like a good idea at the time!" file.

10. the virtual boy was cool, but it couldn't do virtual reality like the R-Zone
    rzone.

11. I thought it was pretty cool, but I also enjoy my eyesight.

12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I dont know what went wrong in the planning of that thing, but I do know that the 90's had its serious downfalls (culturaly).

13. It might have been ok if not for that RED! That's part of what ruined it for me.

Haha, I also read that other comment as "EVER" instead of "NEVER". :cool:

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    But red leds are cheaper to manufacture