Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Just Found Out Why Bass Player Uses That Demeter/Bergantino Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebozzz, Apr 1, 2003.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just got to try the Demeter VTBP-201s for the first time. The power source was a Stewart World 1.6 bridged into a Bergantino HT 322. The basses used were a Warrior Signature 6 with Bartolini electronics and the other was my low rent MIJ Fender Jazz fretless with a J-Retro & Fender Noiseless pickups.

The Warrior went first and after hearing it in the mix I wrote the rig off as being a "modern only" type which is not necessarily a bad thing IMO. I was very please to discover that if you put old school in you get old school out of rig such as the one described above. Maybe not Ampeg kind of old school but the Fender definitely put the vintage vibe into action when it was plugged into the same rig.

That combination had the clarity, definition, sweet tone and it is the most accurate rig that I've ever heard to date. Got a sweet bass that just oozes old school? What about that axe that you use for the hi-fi tones that you need? Plug it into a similar rig and I personally don't think that you would have a problem getting what you need. It's probably not one of those rigs that would enhance the tone of a bass that needed a little help though or am I wrong about that? I'm sorry that I'm so late to the party but we just don't normally get to try gear like that in Denver. Well at least I don't! :D

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just you stop right now. I've been happy Alembic F2B user for 15 years (now into Stewart/Berg); don't go givin' me preamp GAS!

Seriously though: while I'm still happy with my F2B, it would be nice to have a little more tweakability. If I get another pre it'll be either the 201S or the Kern 777.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Fuzz,

If you start to GAS, GAS over the Demeter HBP-1. As far as the preamp is concerned, it has everything the 201S has but, it has a defeatable parametric eq. Much more tone shaping ability than the 201S.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There just wasn't much need to do a lot of tweaking with the two basses that were used in that store setting. Real world could be different but I really liked what I heard.