1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i just go my recorder a tascam help please

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 19, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i just got a tascam 4 track porto 2. i have a carvin pb 100 i been using my line out it sounds good is the SM-57 mic good for recoding bass. secong my guitare player has some marshale i hate them so i wount even try to spell it right what the best way to record that it a head and a 4x? it not 12 maybe 10 it only 100 watts . or yah do i need like a di box or anything like that

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The best way is the one that works.

I normally go straight in or lineout from my combo.
    I was experimenting last night and blended the linout with a SM57. It still wasn't perfect, so I stuck an overdrive between the amp and Tascam and blended the boosted and miked signal.

Just experiment until you like the results. Hope this helps.

3. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    CS is right...

However, if you're both playing at the same time, I would suggest using the 57 on one of the cones on the guitarist's rig. I shy away from using 57's for bass simply because they don't have a big enough diaphragm to move. However, the 57 works very well on guitars. For the bass I would use the amp's line-out.

If you can afford it, you might want to try and get an AKG D-112. It is much better for recording bass. But, it does cost about $200USD.