Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got a Boss ME50-B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, May 19, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I finally found one of these to buy. I live in Columbus, OH and GK, sam Ash, and other local shops do not have them. In fact, they say they aren't shipping yet, or didn't even know about it. I actually am on a business trip in Dallas TX. I knew that the GC in dallas had Mesa Boogie, which is what i really went to audition. They had two Walkabouts in the whole store. One was dead in the rack, and the other had a really bad active input issue, so I had to pass. It sounded great on the passive imput, but I wasn't going to buy a hurt unit.
    On my way out the door, I decided to swing by the effects area, and scanned the wall. Down in the corner, still in a sealed box, was a single ME50-B. I grabbed it, walked up to the counter, and bought it. I bought it unheard! That is very uncharacteristic of me, but I saw that NAMM video and was impressed enough to at least try it. I couldn't get it in OH, and I guess I could always return it in OH when I get back home tomorrow.
    This brings me to my question. I need to get this thing home. It is in a small enough box to carry it on the airplane, but I seriously doubt I will be able to carry it on without opening it, taking it out of the box, and causing delay to everyone behind me. But that is only a guess. I could take it out of the box, and put in in this duffle bag I have, but then I couldn't take it back without the box. I could check it with my suitcase, but it might get damaged. At least I know it would be fine if it was with me on carry on. What would you guys who have been in my situation suggest? The sooner I can get it home, the sooner I can give it a run though and post my results!

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'd consider checking it. They most likely won't damage it. They just send it through a highly radioactive scanner thing, and then open it, and visually check it. Just pack it in the middle with clothes around it. Wait. That'd be suspicious. You could try checking it. I've brough fragile things I've bought from traveling on the plane. Don't worry about holding people up. They should allow themselves enough time for musicians like us to make it through security check ;).

Anyway, enjoy the new processor.

3. You could always UPS it to yourself.

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I thought about shipping it to myself, but I wont get it for around a week. I kinda want to try it out as soon as I can. I also have a jam on Sunday, and it it kicks butt, I want to use it there.
    I know I have seen someonen with a new DVD player carry on their player. I will take it as it to check in, and ask them what they want me to do with it.
    until then, I am still open to what you have to share. I will check this post before I take off tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Wes

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    maybe you can just ship the box to yourself and hang on to the unit itself?

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That is not a bad idea either. I thought about it earlier, but I wonder want security will think when I pull that out of the extra bag I have and put it in the tub (like I have to do with my Laptop)? Do you think it would be better than checking it or trying to send it though security in it's box?
    Thanks man,
    Wes

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Carry it on in the box. I go on the plane all the time with a digital camera, GPS receiver, PDA and HP calculator in my briefcase, and I've never had to even open it up. They'll see that it is what it is in their scanner. And so what if they make you show it to them? You can stand proud once they know you're a bass player.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I opened it this morning, just to see what is all in there. This thing even comes with 6AA batteries! I am taking those out of the box and stuffing them in my labtop, but other than that, it is very easy to get this thing unpacked. The pedal is floating in the middle of two spungy foam pieces. Super easy to put back together. Thanks everybody. I'll let you know how it goes today.
    Wes