Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got a carvin 8x10...any amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by in2dagrave, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I just bought a carvin RL 8x10 cabinet and i was wondering if i should stick with my ampeg svt pro-3 amp?

The cab is 1000 watts rms at 4 ohms...
    The amp is RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 450 Watts

I have heard and read that underpowering and overpowering a cabinet isnt good and i am wondering if its time to upgrade the amp to something with more watts

any suggestions or comments on these products would be helpful?

2. A chiropractor would be a good start...

:D

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Underpowering isn't good only if you are running your amp until it distorts/clips...this will cause damage to whatever speaker you have hooked up to it (regardless of power handling capability). Simply running a cabinet that can handle 2000 watts at a low volume level will not cause any harm to the speakers. Although, the cabinet might "sound" better when pushed with more wattage. I don't see any problem with your current setup unless you are putting the volume knob up at 10 and clipping the amp.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Take the cab back. You'll thank me later.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Now, now, ladies, don't be so petty. The Carvin is loaded with the same Eminence Beta Tens that many 'quality' cabs are, and it's just as well engineered and constructed as most and better than many.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not true, as has been discussed at length in this subforum. Crank your 100 W as much as you want, you'll find it very hard to damage a 2000 W woofer. If what you say were true, no Marshall guitar stack could ever survive. And yet they do.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My understanding was that it was the distorted sound (not a tube overdrive, but a square wave as in transisotr clipping) that wrecks speakers. I have been misled

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Pay no attention to these remarks. They usually come from people with no first-hand experience with a particular piece of equipment. This is what I refer to as "gear snobbery" and it isn't helpful to anyone. Congrats on the new cab.

9. Why not match it up with a carvin amp?Certainly they sell one capable of all the volume you will need.Prices on carvin are pretty good too. Try an internet search for a dealer.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Tweeters, yes. Midranges, sometimes. Woofers, almost never.

11. If you find your Ampeg runs out of gas and you need more power the Carvin B 1500 might be a good match.1250 watts at 4 ohms would be good headroom for that cabinet.I've had the Redline 410T and 210T cabinets a few years ago and thought they sounded good except for the real low end.

12. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    On occasions when I didn't feel up to lugging the SVT CL out, I have run my SVTIII Pro into my 810E and not had any issues with lack of volume.

Your Carvin cabinet would seem to be a good match with amp since they're both rated 450 watts RMS. There have numerous posts on TB that call the SVTIII Pro anemic, but I haven't had that problem yet. 810's move a lot of air!

A lot depends on your individual situation. Music style, PA support or not, size of rooms that you play, all play a role in determining what will work for you.

I say give the SVTIII Pro a shot at it. Don't spend the cash to upgrade unless you really need to, or G.A.S. hits really hard.... :cool: :cool: