Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got a Cort Curbow 6!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornbread, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Yesterday I picked up a red 6 string with a case and strap for $630 from Mars in Natick, Ma. Although that price seems a little high, it's the best I could find around here. I'm really happy with it, and I can't wait to play it with the band. I have a couple gripes though: First of all, the Luthite smell is oppressive. Second, I don't know what kind of strings are on there, but I think I'd benefit from a new set (maybe D'addario XL's). The G and C strings are too light and guitar-sounding. But I really like the range of sounds I can get with the Bartolini active electronics. Ok, I should go practice now....

2. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I was going to get the cort curbow 5 frettless.. I heard that they are quite flexible in tone for the price! what about that luthite... and the ebonol? are they any good?

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The salesman said that the ebonol is made from ebony shavings mixed with some composite and that it is more durable than ebony. I'd say it is as durable as ebony, but not more. I've seen a fretless dean with an ebonol fingerboard that showed some wear from roundwound strings. I don't know about the luthite; I know there are others here that can tell you more about luthite. For the price, go for it!

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ebonol has NOTHING to do with Ebony..
    It is plain black phenolic resin.

Luthite is a pretroleum based clay-like white material with great resonance features.

I own a Cort Curbow 6 String and a Cort Curbow 5 String Fretless.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ebonol? I thought that was made from recycled bowling balls.

Oh, wait a minute - that is Ebonite!:p Sorry about that!:D

Seriously, the Cort Curbows are good values for the price. The 6 does have a Bart pickup, but the preamp is a Mighty Mite. The pickup has serious pedigree, but down the road the bass could probably sound even better with an upgraded preamp.

6. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Congratulations, I'm envious!
    I was about to head down to the Natick store recently but I found what I was looking for at the GC in Danvers. Or Peabody. Wherever that is. It's right on the line.
    Anyway, I've got a Cort Curbow 6 on the back burner as a future acquisition. I have to get my wife of the sticker shock of my new Warwick... Heh heh...
    Have fun with it. I'll be looking forward to a review!

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually the Preamp is a Custom Design by Greg Curbow too..
    Not a Bartolini, but certainly better than a Mighty Mite.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You'll be happy with the Curbow. My fretless 5 is a joy to play. The smell will dissipate, in fact, I can't even smell it unless I open the battery door.
    Doc

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    To late, I saved up some money and got a a yamaha TRB5IIF, great bass, I love it, the 35" make the B sound like a regular string.

They had no cort curbows in the store for me to try, besides I usually take my base to a luthier/friend to set it up etc. I knew that the yam would have no problem, but I wasn´t sure about what he might do with ebonol + luthite bass.

I also had some bad experiences in the past with budget basses and didn't want to take risks.

maybe for my 6 string?

10. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Does the Yamaha have unusually wide string spacing? I tried a TRB6 and could hardly play it.

bman: It's too bad GC doesn't sell Corts; Natick is a bit of a drive. A Warwick must be completely opposite from a Cort. Warwick=all wood Cort=all man made materials.

Ifabara: What kind of strings do you use?

11. wow lots of MA users in here, i am in framingham right down the street from GC and Mars Music

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Right now, Im using Carvin 30-40-60-80-100-128 nickel strings.
    Planning to move back to Fodera´s Stainless or D´Addario XL 30-130

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Btw.
    Cort Curbows are composite/resin made except for the Neck, the rest of them, such as the Artisan series are fully wood made.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, if you guys don't mind, i would like to hear a little more about the cort curbow sixes. i know this is a resurgence of the dead, but i was at sea when you guys started this thread...i missed it. heheh how about construction? i know fron the piccys i've seen, these basses look like they come with a pretty crummy bridge. with the barts though...hmmm is there a bass that one of these compare too? i own a warwick thumb neck thru, so imagine that it would be on the opposite side of the spectrum from what i have...

15. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    where were you at sea? does your ship ever go to HK? lol there were a buncha sailors in town

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i'm on an SSBN, which is a nuclear sub that carries 24 nuke missiles, so we don't pull in to ports much...i can't imagine why...no one will let us tie up...

17. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    LOL!
    oh well a few battleships in town...

18. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    neptoon: I think the bridge is pretty solid, though it is aluminum. However I had a problem fitting the B string in the saddle when I changed strings. I like the Bartolini pickup compared to the mitymites used in the fours and fives. As far as construction, I'm not sure. Ifabara probably knows more about the differences between the cort and other basses, but I found that the construction was not very consistent among the cort curbows. I'm sure your warwick is of much better construction.

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Aluminum Bridge?? NO WAY!! IT is SO SOLID!!!
    And it is made out of SOLID BRASS!!!
    Check it at http://www.mightymite.com its the MightyMass Bridge.

You know.. I had the same problem in the 6 String.. a non- tappered 130 String didnt fit.. I had to squeeze it.. But In my 5 Stringer.. IT fitted perfectly with no effort..
    :)
    About the construction. The body /Bridge/Shielding/Electronics is perfectly made.
    The Neck /Fingerboard /Frets is also great.. (I just have 1 slighty high fret on my 6 stringer.. epecifically the 16 Fret and it appears only in the First string.. (maybe because i have less than 1mm action on that string :D )
    The only problem is the Neck Pocket. Sometimes it is not perfectly set.
    I had to add shims on both my 6 string and 5 string to increase the angle of the neck as a whole and in one side..
    But after that.. My babies became the best players.. (Even compared to more expensive basses.. [lets say $2000])

In the Pickup department, I dont know about the Mighty Mite in the Cort Curbow, Both my Basses have Custom Bartolini pickups and the 5 String came with a QuadCoil with coil selector switch, installed by Greg Curbow!!

Now.. The Mighty Mite pickup is the Same found on the Tobias Toby Pro and every Ibanez that says DX series pickups.. So Go Figure.

The Electronics are Greg Curbow/Bill Bartolini Designed and made overseas to their specs. So it is not just another "mighty mite electronics"

Please feel free to ask anything about the Curbow line, as Im always in contact with Greg.

[Edited by lfabara on 01-25-2001 at 09:00 PM]