Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got a didgeridoo!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Erlendur Már, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is SO COOL!!! I ordered it yesterday and got it today..It´s amazing! Does anyone else have one?

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    John McNeil wrote a great book on Jazz Trumpet that teaches circular breathing techniques.

I don't have one, but I had to make one once for a World Music class. My friend currently has it. It was very very cool. It's just a great sound. I would try and incorporate didgeridoo solos into all of your pieces from this point forward. :)

3. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Those things are cool, I know a guy who plays one and he's right into it. Another friend of mines sister was pregnant and he asked if he could play a thing for her baby ... so she laid down and he pointed the digeridoo at her stomach a started playing. apparently she had never felt the baby move before and the digeridoo song made the baby go nuts.. it was kicking up a storm. I thought that was pretty cool .

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have one, still working on the circular breathing thing though.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    No but I have a didgeridoo story. A couple of years ago my band was auditioning guitarists. About the sixth guy in brought a vintage Strat, a vintage Twin Reverb and a didgeridoo.He was a Chris Duarte clone - a killer player. We loved his chops and tone. All of a sudden he puts down the Strat picks up the didgeridoo and asks us to play in "D". So we do a quick blues shuffle and he starts blowing this thing. When he was done he told us how he would introduce the didgeridoo to our set list if we picked him for the gig.We never saw him or his stupid didgeridoo again.

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I have a few that I made out of PVC, and I'm also not able to circular breathe. PVC sounds good, but it's not like a real didg.

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    where can i get one of these australian love horns

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Just remember that circular breathing isn't really "circular breathing." You use your cheek muscles to force air out instead of using your diaphragm, while simutaneously inhaling through your nose to refill your lungs. It takes a little practice, but it's not really that hard. However, the more back pressure there is, the easier it is to do (i.e. it's easier to do in the upper register than the lower one). Once you get the hang of it though, you can hold a note all day. And it'll make you a hit with the ladies. ;)

9. Excellent acquirement! I love the didgeridoo, my parents have one lying around in the loungeroom. I've been meaning to learn how to play it but haven't got around to it.

Just curious to know, which country are you in?

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    No, I would like one though. I've also been thinking about buying one of those big ass horns like on the Ricola commercial so I can play it out on the lawn and drive my neighbors completely nuts. My neighborhood is too quiet. It needs a little life.

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Cambass-I´m from Iceland..

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    They make me dizzy.

I was at Pagan festival where they had a digeridoo circle I sat in on that was pretty wild. About 25 people with degeridoos sat together in a field while a conductor of sorts orchestrated some pretty cool stuff. The players were from newbies to advanced, and it was pretty wild hearing/feeling it all mesh together with different pulses and rythems. You could feel the ground move.

13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've made quite a few out of PVC. I have a bamboo didge from Australia, and my sister has a genuine eucalyptus didge hollowed by termites, but I actually prefer the sound of the PVC ones.
    I've gotten pretty comfortable with the circular breathing, and can do it on other instruments now. It took me a while to learn it, but it just clicked, and it so cool now to keep a note going for minutes at a time.
    I played didge for a long time one day last summer and got a severe ear infection. I think I forced air up into my ears or something. It sure hurt a lot.

15. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I've been playing Didg across England for 5 years now, I have a range of different pieces from straight out percussive beat-box hip-hop sounds with a live band to solo pieces.

The Aborigines would use the Didges to tell stories about their environment hence the sounds being named after animals and so on eg the shout (while still droning) is called the "Dog", the trill is the "Kookaburra" and many more. When playing solo, I tell a brief story like 'a man hitch-hiking, there are lots of cars going past, eventually a lift with a nice guy, good conversation and arriving at the destination' and having created a 'mood' recreate the story with the Didg. I also have a boss multisampler controlled by my feet and I layer loops and click and pops to make almost 'techno' music.

Circular breathing is essential for intersting didg playing as there are many sounds that can only be got whilst keeping a steady drone. I learnt in 2 hours with a straw and a glass of water, learnt how to make the sound and spent 2 days solidly playing to combine the two techniques.

Good luck, it's a fantastic instrument for parties.

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was watching TV and there was this British or Australian guy giving a one man techno show. he had a bass drum and some synth pads and a whole bunch of Boss effect pedals and a didge. It was pretty cool. He actually played everything live and was actually some of the better techno I've heard.

Hey, I just realized if I learn how to circular breathe then I can be like Kenny G!!!!!! :D

17. Yea i have had one for quite some time.. I still cant circular breathe, i have to give that some good time and effort, but i will eventually get it.. I love making nice little grooves by just making random sounds into it.. its great.. Really an underappreciated instrument.. My friends get a kick out of it too.. Im the only 15 year old in my town that plays didgeridoo :rolleyes:

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    once i left my didge in the car, but i forgot to lock the car. When i rushed back to the car i found 2 other didges, an accordian, and a banjo.
    just kidding

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Man, it would suck to be killed by a digeridoo, think of the headlines:
    "A young male, age 23, was murdered today when attacked by a group of 4 digeridooists. The police capture 4 suspects and the only thing they said in defense was, "BBBWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH."

20. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    what is a didgeridoo?