Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Just Got A Heck Of A "Beater" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My family was out on vacation in Wisconsin and Ohio this past week and a half, and we stopped into a GC in WI on a whim. My wife, supportive as always, suggested I get myself a new bass with my GC card since I owed nothing on it and there was a 12 month no financing thing going on. She said if I saw one I liked for around $1000 or less I should pick it up to have as a bass I could practice with around my toddler and not worry about it getting damaged like I do with my Elricks (I'm a stay at home father and I nanny my nephew all week, so I'm constantly surrounded by small people eager to destroy anything they can ;)). So I found and got a nice Bongo HH 5 in desert gold with a free case (more on that later). Turned out there was two small chips in the headstock paint, so I exchanged it for a matching one (but flawless) in an Ohio GC that was $50 less and appeared to be even newer. So a brand new Bongo 5 HH with case for $950...GC is really blowing these things out.

It's a very different bass than my Elricks- it's 34", bolt-on, and has narrow(ish) spacing. I'm trying to figure all of the available tones out at the moment...it's extremely versatile. It lacks the clarity and sustain of the Elricks, but it's got some extra punch. I'll see if I can get used to the narrower spacing...I used to prefer it, but I've gotten used to wide spacing over the past three years. I added a pink ivorywod ramp to it as well. The placement of the pickups doesn't allow for a very wide ramp, so I had to cut my spare one to size (you can see in one corner how I accidentally shifted the ramp slightly while cutting it in my electric miter saw, resulting in a small slice of the edge getting cut off :rolleyes:)

Overall, it's very nice so far. I'd trade it for an Elrick, but I'm not sure if there's another kind of bass I'd give it up for.

Here's a few pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick sound clip I made for it just now (don't judge too harsh...it was an improv just so I'd have a clip to go with the pictures).
    Bongo fingerstyle .mp3

Side story on my wife vs. GC:
    This is the second time my wife has gotten GC to bend to her lovely will. The salesman at the WI GC wouldn't go down on the price, so I figured okay, so long as it comes with a case, otherwise I won't be able to drive cross country with it. The guy says case not included. I know many GCs are infamous for not giving the cases that come with the bass, and he gave some BS story about why it didn't have one, and says that he can't throw one into the deal. All the other basses around it had it marked on their tags "case not included," but this one didn't. So we leave, my wife calls the store's asst. manager, and tells him that we were pretty upset that they didn't mark case not included on the bass if it wasn't supposed to come with one...long story short, she talks to the guy for five minutes, tells him he would have had a sure sell if it came with a case and that we were leaving the next morning, and the asst. manager tells us to come get it in the morning, with the case thrown in for free. In Ohio we found that there were a couple small chips despite the GC salesman saying it was flawless (I have poor vision so it can take a while for me to notice these things), so we bring it the the Cleveland GC for an exchange...I've done a lot of business at the Cleveland GC and they're always pretty accommodating there.

She's been able to talk her way into getting what we wanted at GC in the past as well. We went to buy a keyboard and We had paid my GC credit card bill that day on the phone, and they said I'd be able to use the card either that day or the next day. Try to buy the keyboard, clerk says card won't go, and then my wife talks to the GC reps on the phone. At the time, she was late into her pregnancy and getting out was rare and difficult for us (I can't drive because of my vision). So after talking with person after person on the phone, she finally gets to one of the supervisors, and using her charms, she gets them to make an exception and we were able to get the keyboard that day (they said they'd charge the card the next day). My wife kicks ass- she's VERY convincing when she wants to be...I'm glad she uses her powers for good :D

2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Beautifull bass, and I'm digging the tune too!

Congrats on having a supportive spouse as well.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Great bass (love the color and it sounds great) and even better wife.

Heck of a beater indeed. Enjoy!

Marshall :bassist:

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That bass sounds great but I suspect you would sound good playing most anything. You have some nice chops!

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Ya gotta know that life is good when a $1000 +/- Bongo is your beater :D

Cool lookin' bass ...... :cool:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What's the radius on the ramp?

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    dang right that's one heck of a beater! Wow. as functional as it may be that ramp sure does look out of place on the bongo, paint it a wild goofy colour!

congrats

8. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I'n digging the tune more than the bass....... :hyper:

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Cool find. Although the toddler might get confused come potty training time! :D

Nah seriously...I wish I could pick one up for that price...damn GC not shipping out of USA!

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The radius of the ramp is 12". The radius of the Bongo fretboard is 11" so it's not an exact match, but there's very little difference in the feel.

I agree the color is out of place- it was made from my spare ramp. I tried painting it with an acrylic black, but the pink ivorywood really won't absorb it at all so it just flaked off. I may try lightly sanding the top and then applying a black stain to it, but it's okay for now.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Uh oh, that's only three months away... :(

BTW, I will never take offense to anyone saying it looks like a toilet seat. It does! Still looks cool to me though- I'd so rock a bright orange toilet if I could get one.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Did you get the sanding block from Stew Mac?

In re the color....I dig it, but then again I have have MMiller Jazz 5 wannabe that has a birdseye purpleheart ramp. :D

13. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Man, that looks and sounds sweet! What a beater!! :D

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I didn't make it...it was a spare that I had that Rob Elrick made me. I just cut the length and width of it down to match the space between the pickups.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Last time i shipped anything to Aussie (it was to perth) it cost around $70 (it was smaller then a bass but it was as heavy) ...prices may have gone up.

16. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Man I wish I knew your wifes secret. I go to the same guitar center you was and care barely get them to talk to me let alone get me a case with anything down their.

17. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Quote: Ya gotta know that life is good when a $1000 +/- Bongo is your beater

Ditto! That would be great. I love that clip you made! Make another, that's exactly the style I like and well done! :bassist:

18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Please to take a family photo kind sir, baby included :D

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D

I actually did just that when I was taking the new Bongo photos. I'll be posting a thread for it later tonight.

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Welcome, Brian R Tyler.

You are amongst friends now, mwahahahah etc etc.