Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got a Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Apr 21, 2001.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just picked up a used Modulus Quantum 6 today!
    This bass rules! The 35" scale makes the B tight as hell. The EMG's aren't my fave, but the bass still sounds awesome.
    My question to Modulus owners is what strings can I use? Most that I tried were too short.
    Also, how is Modulus with customer service?
    I'll keep you all posted on my thoughts of the bass. I'd love to hear about others who have these incredible basses.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Congrats! I've had several Modulii and loved them all. I only sold them because I can't justify keeping lots of high-dollar basses around that don't get played and they didn't fit my musical situation any longer. They are indeed fine instruments. I've only had contact with their customer service once, and it was a very good experience...not due to problems but to get info on a limited edition Q5 I'd purchased used. I used DR HiBeams and Lo-Riders on mine. I didn't like the EMGs either, and replaced them with Lane Poor humbuckers and a Lane Poor preamp in one Q5, which sadly, you can't get any longer. All the others had Barts. The Poors are the most incredible pickups ever. They guy that bought that bass from me still raves about it. You'll be very happy with it, I'm sure.

3. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Is 2010$ good for a brand new Modulus Q4?(natural color)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    To be honest, that doesn't sound like a great price. Check around on some different online sellers like Basscentral.com, Bassnw.com, etc. and see what they're charging for a similar bass. That's usually about the best deal you'll get. If you just walk into a Mars or a Guitar Center, you'll get raped if you let it happen. They love it when a young player walks in...they'll fleece him for all they can. The guys at both the sites I mentioned above are honest and will give the a good deal..the first time. Ask for Beaver at Bass Central, or Chad or Evan at Bass Northwest. They'll probably give you a price even if they don't have it in stock, and answer questions to boot.

5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Great bass man, it is the tightest B string no doubt. I also used the DR's and DAddario XL 6's and never had any problems. Congrats and enjoy man!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang it...I wish I had the kinda dough (not to mention amplification) to spring for a Modulus... 6...and Rojo, what color? Got any pics of it?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Geez Rojo, haven't seen you in a while! Way to make an Angus proud! :D

I use LaBella Hard Rockin Steels on mine. They're the only steels ive ever liked on my Modulus. Try those, or just stick to nickels, probably. Of the other brands ive tried, i liked D'addario Slowounds and Modulus Nickels, the latter of which are killer! I believe they are just repackaged DRs, though. For the most part though, you'll want to stick with nickels.

I don't really like EMGs on the Modulus either...i'd probably switch them otut for some Bartolinis or Seymour Duncans. Good investment. Anyhow, congrats on the awesome bass! Post some pictures! :D

Jake, $2010 isn't actually that bad of a price. It would depend on the features, but considering that Modulus recently raised their prices, its not too bad. But im betting for that much it probably has a high grade top, burst finish, or tinted neck.

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I ordered a Modulus Q6 from Beaver at Bass Central back in December. It is supposed to arrive sometime this coming week. Mine has Bartolinis. I would reccommend the bartolini option to anyone. With the 3 band electronics, you can get them to sound quite a bit like the EMGs anyway.

Congratulations on a fantastic bass. Post some pics. When mine arrives we can start a Modulus owners thread... Love live graphite.

9. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Hey glad to see another Moduli! I got a great deal on mine from Jason at Guitar-Villa in PA. (ad in the back of BP) They were the most helpfull of all the Dealers I contacted for my special order. (& I called EVERY one in the US!) Check it out,

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1653956&a=12664945&p=47001174&Sequence=6

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/994a...close-up+of+Quantum+Body.jpg?bcYapM7ArR47tTE9

Quantum 4 "sweet-spot", Lane-Poor soap bar p/u, Bartolini 3-bnd e/q, natural satin finish (I was expecting a plain top and was suprised to receive a nice curly maple), Granadillo fingerboard, satin (not glossy) finish to back of neck, chrome hardware & hardshell case. I paid around $1,700 last May when it was delivered. I got a super price on the "basic bass" but had to pay full retail on the options & case, that realy jacked-up the price. A year later, and I still love it, The only thing I would change is Jumbo frets instead of the "standard" ones I have now. I guess this will happen in a few years when I have to re-fret. As for strings, I like mine old and what people call dead. But I always keep backups for when they break. I bought DR low-riders 40-100 (Xtra long scale), hope you enjoy yours.
    RGDS

10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks for the replies!

The bass is a cherry burst with a weakly quilted top. It has a Kahler bridge, which is causing me to have it set up by a pro. I'm decent at a setup, but this is like adjusting equipment on a spaceship.
    I guess this bass falls under the old style. The Kahler bridge, plastic knobs, no truss rod.
    It's a bit dinged and scratched, but looks great from a distance. Besides, I got this bass for an INCREDIBLE price.
    I played it for about 4 hours today. The sound is great. I can't stand the Ampeg I have, but the bass put a really good sound out. Acoustically, it sounds better than anything else I've ever played. And it's light too, unlike my Warwick.

I have 2 more questions... The action is high on this bass and the neck looks bowed in a bit, like trussed basses have when you put heavier strings on them. Is that a bad thing or a design characteristic?
    Also, the strings that were recommended. Were those the standard strings or a specified extra-long scale? The strings that the previous owner put on were elixir std size strings (B-G) and a Ken Smith C. I tried Pedulla strings on a TRB5II that I had and they were just barely too short.

Angus, it's good to be back. I bet you're still raving about your Modulus to everyone.

mchildree, GC unfortunately isn't a dealer of Modulus. I work there. However, that's where I got mine used. I would agree with you that right now the best place to get a Modulus is BassNW or Basscentral. NW has the lowest prices I've ever seen on new Mod stuff.

Thanks y'all

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Rojo, see if you can take a pic of the Mod from the side, so I can see the neck. There might be something wrong with it...mine is trussed, but ive never touched it, and ive had strings on here as heavy as 55-135 (got 45-135 right now) and mine didn't move at all. I'd get it checked out, and if it does have some forward bow in it that you can't fix without compromising string guages, you might want to contact Modulus about it. I've know some other guys that this happened to, and they recieved a new neck for free from Modulus. Get it checked out, definitely.

As far as the bridge, im not a big fan of Kahlers, if i were you, i'd spend the $150 it takes and get an ABM bridge put on instead.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice to see you again, Rojo. Congrats on the Modulus;)

13. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Hi, I am a newbie here and this is my first post, so um.. Hi everyone! :D But back to the subject! I just ordered a Modulus Quantum 6 brand new from www.gguitars.com through eBay for $1800.00 (US). It has the bartolini pickups and preamp. I am looking forward to it's arrival hopefully mid-week this week. It is very good to know about the string length situation. I was going to try LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels on it, but I am not sure now if those would be long enough...Anybody know? If not, I'll try the D'Addario's I suppose. Anyhow, I feel like I got a good price on this! Let me know what you think! I hope I love it as much as you guys do! It's also my first jump from a 5 to a 6 string!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Check my post Progbass. The LaBellas are easily long enough...Daddario (XLs anyway) sometimes are and sometimes arent...and they were all long scale! SloWounds work and sound great, so theres a good choice. Im back to SloWounds on mine.

Congrats on the bass...just read the posts! :D

15. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    OOPS! I don't know how i missed that! I read the entire thread before I replied! Oh well, Brain fart... Thanks!

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Right now, I'm having the bass professionally set up. If the tech says it needs to be fixed, I'll have it sent out, but I'm waiting to hear from Modulus about some questions. The strings I'm having put on are Ken Smiths, which looked big enough for a TRB (35"). Also, I noticed that the B on the bass is really weak, but I think that's a pickup thing, so I may get barts put in.
    When it comes back, I'll try to get pics.
    Progbass... That bass is gorgeous.

17. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Thanks man! Post pics of yours when you can! I just found out that I have to wait till at least Thursday for mine to get here, and it was supposed to be here tomorrow! :( Don't you hate that? Oh well.

18. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I have a modulus quantum 5 and I have been really pleased with the Dean Markley SR2000 strings ( I think they are the med-light, but are the ones in the orange box). They're plenty long They have a taper core construction and I think they sound pretty nice on this bass. A dude I know also uses the D'Addario slowwounds.
    Let me know what you find out.
    Digs

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Rojo, ive never played a Modulus with a bad B and EMGs...unless you've got a weird angle on the pickups or bad strings, it could be the neck.

Ill agree with the SloWounds...thats what im using right now. I might do with DRs next, those have tight-as-hell B's.

20. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The pickup angle is nothing strange. Everything appeared fine. The only concern was that this bass was made in late 1990. Back then, some guys knew how to reproduce a low B, some didn't. It could have been out of tune. It could be my lame amp. I don't know. If it is the pickups, I'm just gonna get new ones (unless Bartolini blows me off again). What Barts fit in this bass? I know bart sizes are the same as EMG, but I have no idea what EMG's are in it.

BTW, Modulus customer service has been very good to me so far. I asked them a bunch of questions, they answered them very quickly. I just sent another email about the bow in the neck. I have to wait for the bass to get back from the setup, but who knows what will happen.

As for pics, I'll get em on ASAP, but I tell ya... Modulus has come a long way in 11 years. Prog, that bass is STUNNING. The quilt on the top is amazing. My bass has such a weak quilt that it probably won't show up in any pictures I post (and my camera sucks). Plus, the guy who owned it last left a few chips, dents, and watch-marks. But they are all cosmetic.

I'm now at a crossroads though. I swore that I would be a Warwick man all the way. I had the bass of my dreams already ordered in my mind (streamer Stage II 5 str). But after playing this puppy, I think I may have to drop the $2000+ on a Modulus (like the Spalted maple 5 str at BassNW). This would be tougher though if I actually HAD the money right now. :)