I just got a SWR Workingman's 12 and have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Ok, I have had this Laney combo for a while, its only 25 watts and really not too great. So I went to GC with my christmas money and came home with the Workingman's 12. now i know how much the amp affects your tone :D

but i have a couple questions:

1) what is the aural enhancer(sp)?? i know it increases "ambience" but what does that do?

2) How do I stop the preamp clip? Turn down my bass?

3) How is it 100W/120W?? How do I change between the two? Is it the tweeter switch that adds the wattage.

4) This is a general questions but... Whats the difference between the active and passive/active inputs? What happens if you plug a passive bass into active input?

thanks everyone
  2. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    1. I have been told that an aural enhancer is really nothing more than a preset EQ. I don't really know how it does what it does, but it does work.

2. Either use the "padded" input, or yes, turn down your bass.

3. My guess is that it is 120W with an extension cab. But that's only a guess.

4. The active input is slightly less sensitive. That could be why you're clipping. If you have a battery in your bass, use the active input. I don't think it'll cause any damage if you use the passive, but it'll clip like crazy.

Hope I was some help.

3. :( now youre making me look stupid :D . i have been using the active input but didnt know what the difference was.

4. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    By the way, I personally think the Workingman 12 has great tone, better than the 15. (And yeh you get the higher watt rating when you hook in an 8 ohm extension cab). Best of fortune to you.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The enhancer boosts the lows and highs and cuts the mid for that "smiley face", modern-sounding EQ. Just diddle with it for a while, you'll figure it out. I too like the sound of the WM-12 over the WM-15. Add a SABDDI, and you'll be in the proverbial hog heaven.
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I owned a WM12 for a while and it was a great little amp-it fit through the tiny trunk opening of my Tercel and was loud enough for good tone at band rehearsals (though the limiter would be constantly lit). I found its tone superior to the WM15 and WM10-but not quite as plush as a Basic Black. The rear-ported 12/tweeter setup fills small spaces beautifully.

With a 15" extension cab it handled medium clubs and even outside (with PA) gigs OK. The overall tone of the amp is pretty clean so a SansAmp would surely nudge it towards more polluted tones. The WM12 is an astonishingly good amp for playing in acoustic groups, house parties, and other situations where you want a small amp with fine fidelity at a reasonable volume. I think it's the best "little" bass amp out there.