Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i just got a Tech21 Sansamp BDDI WOW!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Aug 9, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i cant even believe how good this thing sounds! i have a sadowsky uv70, an ashdown abm500 and a genz benz 6x10. i thought i had a great sound. im the kind of player who likes to get a great tone and go with it. i dont change alot. i pulled the sansamp out of the box and ran it like a pedal through the input of my ashdown. i set the sansamp to the svt setting in the manual and pulled my tone control so the sadowsky is passive. turned the eq and grind knob off on my ashdown and set the input level. i turn up the volume knob on the amp and my jaw dropped. i have been looking for this sound for 20 years. it sounds just like an old ampeg svt classic. i even would unplug it and try to get the sound with the sadowsky preamp and the ashdown head. i could come close but it just wasnt as good. i sat down and plugged the sansamp back in and turn the sadowsky preamp off and gave it a little grind from the ashdown and a little ashdown eq and , im just shocked! like i said, its the sound that ive been looking for for years. ive heard alot of good and bad about the sansamp but never thought about buying one. i just got it because a couple gigs i have are small and i couldnt fit an amp so i wanted a di. i had no idea how good it would be as a preamp. ive spent thousands of dollars the last couple years on amps and basses and i would have never guessed id find what i was looking for in the sansamp. i think its the presence knob that i like so much. also the tub sound isd better than my ashdown tube preamp. i might just sell the ashdown and buy a power amp.?! i couldnt believe how hot a signal im getting going into the amp and the ashdown needle is barely moving. the band showed up after i was messing with it for about an hour. we played a couple tunes and they were all shocked. the thought it was my new sadowsky and i showed them i had it passive. i just cant believe it.

2. I've heard the BDDI's a few times and loved how it sounded, but havent really had the urge to buy one for myself. However, I did use the Sansamp RBI on my last CD recording and the tone I got from that was heavenly. I think if I were ever going to go for the tube sound I'd just go ahead and get a tube amp though, but I've heard that tubes arent really as good for funk/slap, perhaps a BDDI may do the trick after all?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad you like it!

4. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i really feel dumb though because i just bought the sadowsky uv70 and the main reason was the preamp. but i really like the sansamp better.

5. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    AWESOME dude. glad you like it. I love my sansamp but I think i still have some more tweaking to do.. i have the programmable one. If you find a good overdriven/distortion sound settings on your active bass or whatever, please do tell

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats, and I'm with ya... I picked up david wilson's Programmable BDDI and have been very happy with it. Totally second the emotion about the SVT setting... running my Sad Tokyo 5 passive into it yields a serious butt-kicker of a sound, even without tweaking. Also lovin' the slap preset.

7. Not to throw everyone off here, but why play a Sadowsky thru a Sanamp? Just play an Ibanez starter kit bass, they both will come out sounding the same.

My expericne w/ Sansamp pre's is regardless of what goes in, everything comes out sounding the same.

It toally takes over your instruments true voice. A waste of a Sadowsky IMO.

8. This is the reason why I have not purchased a Sansamp.

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... very different experience over here... besides, who ever said it's on all the time?... ;)

10. I love the way my Sadowsky sounds through my BDDI, and I love the way my Sadowsky direct, it's nice to have a choice. The BDDI definitely has the "old school" SVT typr of sound, where as the Sadowsky pre has a more modern sound, both are great!!!!!

11. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    thats exactly what im talking about. i got the samsamp just because i need a direct box for a couple gigs. i was shocked when i plugged it in and got a better sound than with the sadowsky itself. what should i do, get rid of the sadowsky because its a waste of a sadowsky?? thats crazy! the sadowsky is my #1 bass and i plan for it to be for a long time. it just looks live the sansamp might be my #1 preamp to use in my rock band!

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have no problems with the BDDI overwhelming the true color of my bass(es).

Riis

13. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Isn't this what the blend pot is for?! I use my BDDI as my main pre-amp, I just get a nice balance of the basses sound and a hinting of the sansamp EQ and drive settings etc.
    It's still just as important to get as high a quality of sound into the sansamp as you can't polish a turd, then you simply use the blend knob ;)

14. Absolutely!

I know that SansAmp, in their manaul, do seem to recommend that you run the Blend control flat out most of the time, but I tend to rum mine anywhere between 11.00 and 2.00 o'clock, depending on how much "BDDI" I want and how much of my Bass. ;)

Anyhoo, welcome to the club 513 rocks.com.

You do know that there is now way back from here don't you. :D :D :D :D

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I didn't get the "WOW" thing when I first had mine. In fact, I wasn't too sure about it when I bought it (wasn't able to try before buying - I'm kind of glad now, as will be seen). I didn't think it was BAD, just nothing great. I posted to say I wasn't that crazy about it and got several useful replies with advice and encouragement.

Thanks a lot guys! Having used it for a while now, I really love it! You were all right and I was wrong. It definitely makes for a punchier and more lively sound. But I use it in a fairly subtle way (blend knob about 11) and this is when it's at its best, IMO. Too much Sansamp will mask the character of your bass, I suppose. But a little goes a long way. When used as described, no way does it "take over" your sound.

BTW, I have the programmable version and the footswitching between three different patches I find massively useful at gigs.

EDIT The blend knob - that's an "o'clock" 11, not a Spinal Tap 11. :rollno:

16. i love the way how my Sansamp BDDI works in tandem with my 60's reissue pbass and my sr3000e... i just love the way how it sounds! :bassist:

17. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    yeah, i already thinking about getting the programmable one. after another day of messing with it, ive found a couple different settings i like. my fovorite is setting everything @ 12, the blend arond 11 and its a good mix of sadowsky tone with the hot tube sound or whatever they call it. im going to gig with it a couple times and make sure its all that and ill probably have the prog. one within a month! :D

18. Can the sansamp do good clean tones and slap style? Something kinda modern a bit like flea? I only use grind sounds occasionally but maybe this would be a good pre?

19. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Hum I wonder if I should get this. I'm a bit tired of my Rick sounding like a Rick, but I can't afford a new bass, and I'm definitely not selling it.