i just got an ancient boss GE-7B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Feb 24, 2010.

1. so can i sell it like a vintage fender?:ninja: lol
    jokes aside i dunno if it works and has different frequency centers than the regular GEB-7 which i also have. its made in Taiwan. there was a battery inside, when i took it out i noticed the battery clip had broken due to some chemical reaction or melting or something, i think the battery did it! so you think it will be reliable enough to keep it on my board, considering its really beat up and if it works fine?
    sorry i dont have a camera to post pics. but am wondering how many people, gigs and stories it much have been through.
    edit: is there a way to find out its year of manufacture?

2. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    There is a serial number decoder on bossarea.com.

I have the same pedal, and mine works just fine, eventhough it looks like it's been through WWII.

Regarding your battery issue, I have no idea whether or not it's safe to use, but if you run it through at power suply, everything should be fine.

3. cool mine is a feb '93 pedal!

4. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    i got one also in 93....brought it new and still kicks like a mule

5. i got one from November 1987
    and im just 17 jears old....

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I have a Boss BF-2 that if I remember rightly is from 1985, so it's a good couple of years older than I am and it still works perfectly. Say what you like about them, but Boss are bloody tough and reliable.

7. Fangofdoom

Fangofdoom

Aug 20, 2010
    what is the difference between the geb-7 and the ge-7b? I wanna buy an eq and I want it to be boss

8. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Seeing (ancient boss GE-7B) + (cool mine is a feb '93 pedal!) = Oh my, I'm starting to feel old and I'm only in my mid-thirties.

- John

9. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I've got the GEB-7 and I've always thought it's frequencies are strange. 50Hz, 120Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 800Hz, 4.5kHz, 10kHz.
    What's 10k supposed to do for me? Why 400 and 500 together then a jump from 800 to 4500?

The GE-7B seems more sensible. 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz

I guess Boss had their reasons...

meatwad likes this.
  10. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I would take a guess that those are the major frequencies when it comes to bass EQ and are possibly more obvious.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I think the jump from 800 to 4.5k leaves a few things out!

I'd find 120 Hz a little off from where I consider low mids (150-180, even up to 200).

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Word.

13. Stop it I need no help these days feeling older. I have had both and prefer the GE7B because of the standard octave centers. FWIW my favorite EQ when I use on is a Sholtz Instrument EQ.

14. Fangofdoom

Fangofdoom

Aug 20, 2010
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021