I just got an Epifani 310. Suggestions for a head, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Again, the title says it all. I recently bought an Epifani 310 (Thanks, Michael) and proceeded to play it at a gig the same week. It's amazing what a good sound (or a sound that pleases you) will do for your performance.

My question is this: I currently have a GK 400RB head, which sounds great, but combining it with the 310 is a bit like using a truck to tow an eighteen-wheeler. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just not the best combination. I'd like to get a more powerful head so I can have more heardoom instead of cranking the 400RB all the time. I'm leaning toward a more powerful GK, but would like to know what my other options are. Thank you.

2. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    IMHO, Eden (400 watt) traveller, or something bigger by them if you have the $$$ to spend on it. I couldn't be happier with mine. If you're only driving a single cab, the Traveller 400 will get the job done. Clean, and crisp, mine is so bright, I find myself buying new strings a lot less (makes it almost worth the extra dough to buy one)!

A lot of people really dig SWR, myself included, but for my bass (Zon 5) I prefer the Eden. It seems more consistent room to room than the SWR redhead I used to play did. I like to leave the eq flat, let my bass and fingers do what they do best (when they are up to it, anyway...) But, not to change the subject to combo amps, I practice with my band in a studio that has SM900 head and they are damn good too.

Good luck in your search! Glad you are digging your new cab, nothing is worse than buying something that takes a little while to save up for, bringing it home, and feeling disappointed by it. The Epifanis seem to be becoming popular pretty quickly, I see more and more people with them in the clubs around NYC...
  3. BigW, alyhough I don't own one myself, and have only played through a 130watt combo, but have you checked out Ashdown? I have a M/F catalog in front of me, and they have a 500watt head, the ABM500 for $999.00. Again, I haven't heard this thing live, but if it sounds anything like the combo, I think anybody would love it. BTW, congrats on the Epifani.

Mike J.
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I test drove that cab a couple of months ago and it's quite nice. I think an Eden WT 800 would be a pretty cool amp for that cab. I tested the Epifani 310 with an Alembic F-1X, Stewart World 1.2 bridged mono, and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 string. I thought this setup seemed a bit much for the cab to handle. I don't know if it was the power or the B string.

Enjoy your new cab.

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd look at the GK 1001 RB. It's much more powerful than your 400, a little more oomph and tonal adjustability. If you like the 400, this one would work for you.

You can get one for around $700 or less.

6. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    The Epifani 3x10 is all about clarity and detail. I own one and have tried it with many amps. It excels with the cleanest sounding preamps. My favorites are the Avalon U5 and Demeter preamp. Get the biggest power amp you can find and be prepared to be amazed at how good your Epifani 3x10 can sound. I haven't heard anything that compares.
    Ken Nahora
  7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    OK, this is where my ignorance really starts to show...

Are you saying, then that I should get a preamp & and amp instead of just a head? If i do get a preamp, would I need to get one of those rack doo-hickeys? I'm trying to keep this rig light on my back and my wallet. Could you elaborate a bit more on your setup, Ken? Thank you much.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    LMBO.....you got the Okiehoma terminology goin' now Big'un!:D:D
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Euphonic i600. Or Eden WT400 or 800.
  10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
  11. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Im using an aguilar with mine.

Hey watch out for the more powerful GK's

Anthony Vitti who is a professor at berklee college uses a GK 400rb. He says the newer more powerful GK's dont sound good compared to the 400.
  12. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    My vote would be pre-poweramp. Being a QSC fan i would suggest a PLX 1602 or even 2402 and one of any number of preamps or small mixers...depending on taste. Some kind of acoustic DI would be nice. I saw and ad for a bellari rp503 tube channel mic pre that would work or perhaps a Joe Meek British Channel. I am using a Rane DC-24 Duel band compressor alone right now and I love how it sounds.

Good luck,