I just got contact lenses - pls help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cgworkman, Jun 21, 2005.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I got contact lenses for the first time yesterday. I've worn glasses since I was probably 12 yrs old.

For those of you who have experience with this sort of thing - I have some questions: How long did it take you to get used to wearing them? Did they burn? Did your vision appear funny for awhile? Everything seems so bright. Is this normal?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
  2. It took me two days to get used to it. Now, I cant stand to wear my glasses.
  3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have been wearing them for 25 years. A few days is all it should take to get used to them. Then you will never want to go back to glasses. ;)
  4. You should be fine in a couple of days. I have blurriness in mine from time to time because I have an astigmatism in my eyes and my contacts have to sit a certain way on my eyeball or else I won't see right.

IMO, everything seems brighter because you can now see without having a 1/4" thick piece of glass in front of your eyes anymore. I've often wondered if the glass/contact-less sees like this all the time??
  5. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. I'm hoping in a few days it will even out for me.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It took me about a week to adjust to having them on. I never had a situation when the lenses burned my eyes. No issues with my vision being weird or funny. I switch back and forth between my glasses and contacts quite frequently, and I do notice that things are brighter, and larger when I am wearing my contact lenses.

My tip for you is to always make sure you clean them weekly, and wash your hands thoroughly before you touch them. A little spec of dirt on your finger can get in your eye and cause a possibly serious infection. Also, do not wear them longer than you have been instructed to.

7. It depends on you and what you're doing. If you take it easy at first and build up gradually, a few days to a week. If you try to wear them all day long right off the bat, you'll irritate your eyes and it'll take longer.

Also if you read a computer screen at work, you don't blink enough, eyes tend to dry out. Eyes will be more irritated in that case, may take longer to get used to, or you may have to limit the time they're in.

Best idea is to wear them a little more each day, but don't wear them to the point where they bother you. Take them out before that happens.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It took me a couple hours just to get them into my eye!(for the first time) I started wearing them for sports (football). I wear them now almost all the time because theyre easier than glasses. Now it takes me a couple seconds. I don't recall any blurryness or burning feelings when I started.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My tip: don't use them.

They just give me the creeps. I'm a keepin' mah glasses!
  10. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    It took me about a week to adjust to the feeling of having them on my eyes, but once that was done, I didn't even notice they were in. Feels just like your normal eyes do. Sometimes I've fallen asleep with them in, woken up and been like "I can see! Crap, that isn't supposed to happen..." I love em thouhg...
  11. +1

1/ Clean/disinfect them according to the instructions you've been given.
    2/ If they're irritating your eyes, take them out. Going back to your glasses and having a break from lenses is probably a good thing once in a while. If they irritate daily then go back to your optician.
    3/ Unless you've got day/night lenses DON'T fall asleep in them. If you do, it'll feel like you're wearing carpet on your eyeballs. Use LOTS of rewetting solution to moisten them and try to take them out as soon as possible. DON'T force it though, they should slip off as easily as normal. You can damage the film on your eye if you yank 'em out.
    4/ Get decent sunglasses! :D You can now get any kind of styling shades you want, 'cause they don't have to be prescription or clip-ons! I find that if I don't wear shades then your average sunny day seems REALLY bright.

Enjoy! I've been wearing specs for 22 years, contacts for 16 and all day/night lenses for about 2.5 years. Loving these extended wear lenses - you wake up in the morning and you can see!!! And no solutions or cleaning stuff...
  12. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Same here. I have toric lenses that have these indicator lines that have to be pointing down or else they'll hurt like hell and be blurry.
    Here's what my Optomotrist recommended: Try wearing your lenses for only a couple of hours the 1st day, and gradually add an hour per day until you have them in all day (not counting sleeping time, when you shouldn't wear most contacts).
  13. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium

It depends what type you wear. With the majority, don't even entertain the idea of falling asleep with them. When i've done that with mine (only a brief 20 minute snooze or something), they feel like they're actually glued to my eyeball. Not nice.

Also, if the solution has a neutralising tablet that you need to use to neutralise the akaline every night, do not under any circumstances forget the tablet. I did once, and it was similar to having someone set my eye on fire and beat me with sticks, whilst laughing and mocking me. Extremely painful indeed.
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    me too.
    I wouldn't dare touch my eyes4 It freaks me out to even think of it.
    However, I've been thinking of laser surgeries... Maybe next summer I'll have it done..
  15. Oh yes, I remember that feeling... Soap in the eyes is nothing compared to this stuff. :scowl:

EDIT: Oh yeah - if you ever prepare chillis for cooking ABSOLUETLY DO NOT forget to wash your hands really thoroughly with soap and everything. There's nothing worse than getting capsaicin in your eye... And if you get your lenses out, cleaned etc. then even next morning you get a little "surprise"... :spit:
  16. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Well, I've been wearing them for 4 days now. I've noticed my eyes keep drying out despite the fact I'm using rewetting drops. It's really bad if I'm sitting below a ceiling fan. I've also noticed my vision tends to be blurry and I sometimes have a hard time focusing.

Is this normal?

Someone told me there are different sizes and that I might have the wrong one?
  17. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    size could be an issue, but your opto should have fitted or measured you 1st. Are your eyes producing tears on their own? it took me a good 2 weeks to really get used to my contacts to the point where I forgot I had them in.
  18. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    That helps. Thanks. I go again on Monday. I'll see then I guess.