I just got home from seeing JT's band...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Sep 17, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    And, you didn't. neener neener neener...:D

Unless, you are Dave Siff, or Muggsy, that is...

JT mentioned that his band was going to play a couple of songs at a local club (Smith's Olde Bar, for those in. or formerly from, Atlanta) for their open mic night. I had to go (even on a Tuesday).

They followed a girl singing a Patti Griffith song, and an acoustic/electric duo who wanted to "take it up a notch."

They rocked the house, and JT succeeded in scaring the emcee with his 7 string fretless. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing them play a full set, as opposed to just two songs.

I'm sure Dave and Gary will appear with their recollections later. I'm going to sleep.

Oh, and JT and Dave--You guys should have stayed. You missed the guy in the kilt who looked like Mini Geezer Butler! :eek:

EDIT: Had Muggsy's name wrong. :( I swear, I need people to wear nametags all the time....
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    did anyone record it? i'm dyin' for some footage...
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wanna say thanks to jason, dave and gary for coming and checking us out. definitely a diverse crowd was there, good to have you guys help even it out :D. you guys rock. :)

jason, i think i saw that guy sitting in the back of the room. let me guess, spinal tap?
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Rock on, John. 'Bout time you guys got out! ;)
  5. Great performance by Lord Only. It was pretty damn cool to see JT up there playing the fretless 7.. and playing the crap out of it, incidentally! It's obvious the band puts a lot of time and thought into the music and it was good to finally see it performed live. Now, get out there and play some more gigs, ya slacker! :)
  6. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Man I got to get down to GA one of these days, Seems like you guy's have all the fun!
  7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    It was quite the interesting evening for a school night. JT's band rocks, and I think it's safe to say he made full use of all seven strings on the Conklin fretless. He was so impressive, the band that played before Lord Only was actively recruiting him after his set!

After Dave and JT left, the guy in the kilt took the stage with his band. Picture a skinny guy with long hair, covered with tats, wearing a kilt, no shirt and black army boots. His guitar had a cool pirahna sticker on it too. Jason and I finally left after the next band, three guys who were probably 18 or 19 and screamed a lot. That's what I get for leaving my earplugs in the car.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...why couldn't y'all have played Sunday night????

9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i don't think that i would've had the balls to take the stage after the thing that is lord only. so you guys are gigging again, i take it? how are album sales going? is it done yet? :D
  10. Drat it! We wanted to go too, but Joe and I both ended up working late. by the time we were finished, we were wiped out.

Glad it went well JT! We'll definitely make the next one.

11. :( I wanna see john perform. Come to colorado as soon as you're big and famous! You can give me a backstage pass-and access to your basses! Mwuhahahaha

Are you guys almost done with the album? I'd really like to get a hold of a copy-I'm tired of being able to sing versatile residue.:D
  12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Brett, they can go through Colorado AFTER they've played in the Bay Area and JT "forgets" one of the 7s in my garage. :D

Can't wait for the album to come out.
  13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks for all the support, guys -sniff- :). you guys are the best.

as for the first cd, we are going to the mixing engineer (chris griffin in atlanta) tomorrow at 11 for what will hopefully be the final day of mixing. then it's off to mastering.

meanwhile, we need to get our act in gear for liner notes. we have ideas, but we've been a bit slack in putting them together. we have a graphic artist to use, we just have to put together our ideas and get everything in order.
  14. I am in the band that was actively recruiting John after this set! HA!
    No offense to Lord Only, they did a GREAT couple of songs.. you just never know when someone has the time to give to more than one project and if you don't ask, how will you know?
    John played well, and one thing I can recognize is talent when I see it! Plus, he has turned me onto this site and some area musicians for which I am indebted.
    Funny thing is, we were advised by a booking agent that our live show (with the full band) was so heavy that they didn't know if we were even material for this particular club. But it was the middle of the week and I am in withdrawal of being on a stage... so Smith's it was...
    It was great to hear an actual band there that night also.. I like acoustic acts, but also like to see someone ripping apart the stage and setting it on fire.. well, maybe not literally... you get the idea.
    My heart lies in progressive metal.. what can I say?
    We are getting a lot of hits and d/l's on the iuma site, John.. I hope its due to your guidance. Good luck on the cd. As soon as we find the new bassist, we have the rest of ours to complete.
  15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, good luck, andrea. :)
  16. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Hey john
    What about a tour in Italy?
  17. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah, JT!! What about the Italian tour?!!! :mad:
  18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    huh. i wish. i hope we make it outside atlanta someday. :rolleyes:
  19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    oh yeah well i heard a track from the new album and all i can say is HOLY SH*T BALLS OF FIRE! this is some serious stuff! imagine rush and yes merging with the brain of steven hawkins! this stuff is ... dare i say it..... UBER COOL!

i'm not really all that into prog rock either but this stuff was WAY serious. (srg contemplates quitting the bass):(
  20. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I can relate stingray. I think I am alright on the bass, and then I will see someone who has mastered it and can do things I couldnt even imagine. The "I should give it up" thoughts invariably pop up.