I just got my Avatar!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Mar 5, 2003.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

I got my Avatar cab in last night. It is the 4x10. This thing sounds a lot better then I would ever of imagined!! This piece of art blows away my Harke. It has front porting, an adjustable tweeter and another 1/4" connection for an extension cab.

It has no signs of breaking apart when I play, unlike my Hartke. I didn't realize what I was missing by using that Harkte. Is this my true tone? I can't wait until my gig on Friday night to really crank this monster up.

Avatar is the way to go. Can't beat the price

Dave's the man! :D
  2. Good for you, NJL!!!!:D

Which Hartke do you have, the 410TP or the 410BXL?

If you use the cabs together, do they compliment each other?

Would you mind comparing the sound of each cab, to satisfy my curiosity? (lows - mids - highs, etc. and have you had a chance to gig with the Avatar yet?)

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    which hartke cab do i have? 410VX Series (complete crap!!). Hartke make some nice cabs, but these are not it.

I have done a side by side AB, yet (i had to go to a band meeting last night across town).

just in doing an AB, in my head, from the last time i used the hartke, i can say the following:

The Avatar sounds more open and clean whereas the hartke sounded more dull and farty.

The Avatar sounds like "if you want to give me more power - so what - I CAN HANDLE IT!" whereas the harke can't handle 280 watts very well without sounding like he's about to have a nervous breakdown.

The Avatar just sounds natural - sounds like what the Sadowsky Pre and Ampeg Pre are putting out - the true sound - no coloration whereas the hartke sounds muffled and honky.

The Avatar has an adjustable tweeter whereas the hartke doesn't adjust.

Man, I sound like a City Council resolution!! :eek: :D ;)

i paid 380 total (includes s & h) and i am very please.

any more questions just send them
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I haven't missed an Avatar Thread in 6 months...I won't start today.

These Avatar cabs are pure junk--save up for something WAY more expensive and more satisfying because it costs a billion $$s. These cabs are for hacks like me...

Just Kidding!!;) ;) of course--the truth is out and dave's little secret has been exposed on here more than 100 times! Have fun with that 4x10...it rules!
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dude! you scared me there for a second!!

how long have you had your Avatar?

BTW, Vince Gill (Willie Weeks is playing with him) will be in Austin next month. Are you going to go check it out? Austin City Limits..
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    sorry...I couldn't resist...I've done so much open praising of these cabs it seemed to0 predictable for me to do it again without a twist.

I've had my 4x10 since June...I love it. I have the "old" style(ports in the back) but it's great all the way around and I beat the tar out of it--drag it out 2-3 per week.

No Vince Gill for me...although I like his music. I'd rather spend the $$ on good BBQ!:D
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Comparison -

It probably won't do Bimplizkit much good, since he was curious for a Hartke comparison, but I can offer a comparison to an SWR Goliath III. BTW, my Avatar b410 is of the older, rear-ported design.

My amp is set up and EQed for the Goliath. When I swap in the Avatar, there is noticeably less bottom end (and the Goliath isn't exactly known for it's bottom, either!). Because the cab doesn't go as deep, I turn the tweeter wayyy down - not totally off, but a little tweeter goes a long way on this cab (Goliath's attenuator runs at around 12 o'clock). Speaking of the tweeter, it does it's job, but without the subtle 'crispness' of the Goliath's horn. Still better than most budget cab tweeters. What the Avatar lacks in bottom, it makes up for with a very good low-mid definition - really tight. They've got what 10's are known for - punch. I actually think the Goliath and the Avatar complement each other very well when run together. When I eventually replace the Avatar, I will probably try matching up some different 4x10 cabs with the Goliath, since the current two have different, but complementary sounds.

There ya go - FWIW! :)
  8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Question: is it 4 ohm or 8 ohm?
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the AB!

i'm a low-mid kinda guy

eventually i will add a 15", but we will see at my next gig how i blend with the band, drums, vocals, guitar, keys and four horns

keep em' coming guys....
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

i was thinking about getting a 4ohm, but i may add another cab in the future (my amp goes down to 2ohm if i did want to get the 4ohm)
  11. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I just got an avatar b210, and its great. Of course this my first cab, so i dont really have anything to compare it to. But it sounds great.

I got the 4ohm version, in hopes of getting an additional b115 to go below it, making my total impedance 2ohms. This configuration will help me now, with my current amp, but if i ever want a new amp(power amp, not head) i'll need to find one that runs 2 ohms bridged, or i'll run it in sterio.
  12. Funny thing, Covertburro - I've been meaning to ask you about this very thing!!!

Are your Avatar and GIII both 8 ohmers?
    Do you run them with the SM900, one cab on each amp channel?
    Wondering how an Avatar would sound sitting on my GIII under my WT600 Eeedy.... and how much more apparent volume you get with two cabs compared to one.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, they're both 8 ohmers. I tried running them stereo, so I could balance between the two cabs, but found that tweaking the tweeter attenuators was all I really needed to do. Running in parallel/bridged mode at 4 ohms, milking all 900 watts, is just too tough to resist, and that's the way I've been running it.

Man, I'd highly recommend picking up a b410 cab, if you're in a situation like me - wanting another cab but not having a whole lotta loose cash jingling around at the moment. I was lucky to get mine used for $200. A/Bed, the Avatar shows it's limitations, but together, the Avatar adds some great low-mid punch. I've also decided that having more speakers gives me a much better sound, even at moderate volumes.

Tough call on how to stack the speakers, though. I'm running the Avatar on bottom, since I'm using the GIII to carry most of the tweeter load. Even though common sense dicates putting the bassier speaker on the floor, I usually cut the bass a bit when using both cabs together (depending on the room), so I don't feel like I'm giving up any bottom.

Anyway - I am officially a 'more is better' guy when it comes to speakers now, so I say DO IT!!! :D
  14. my avatar cab was stolen recently. i had the older (rear ported) 4 ohm B410. i ran it 1000 watts bridged mono from an Ampeg B4-R (which was stolen too). i had so much headroom, great bottom, and a nice punch. i think his new front ported design adds some more bottom, the older rear port design seemed to lose a little bottom when i played outdoors.. Dave felt bad it was stolen and offered me a discount on a new one, of course i'm going for the new B410!!! my other one wasn't even a year old yet... :bawl:
  15. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    how much of a discount did he give you?;) hmmm...maybe I can get somebody to steal mine so I can upgrade to front-ported!:D

*sorry about the theft--I know I would be freaking if that happened to me, even if Avatars are affordable.
  16. the vx410 junk? k, havent plauyed through one, but I did like the vx115. Happy to hear that i'm passed the stage of wanting to tryout the 410 vx. Yeah, I turned up that 15 up to 5 using a hartke 3500 head, no farts yet, and it didn't seem all that loud for a rock gig. However Im sure it'd handle some rehearsals alright. It basically seemed like a decent 15" extension cab, something you shouldnt think about using 'alone' in loud situations. I hear that even though its rated 300 watts at 8 ohms, thats because it has a tweeter in it, and the 15 can actually only handle 75 watts:eek: :spit:... I'd get an avatar C15 before doing that. The C15 would deliver as much bass response as the hartke kickback 15 which is good enough for me. And the vx115 seems quite big for the volume it put out.

I'd seriously like to know if any of you would reccomend the hartke vx115 (which those speakers are probably handle 2 watts each considering the deal with the vx115;) ) over the Avatar b210?

Damnit, I should stop gasing over this ****...

I had a hartke 3500 ontop of my hartke combo and under my recording gear, stuck it back in it's box and under my bed until I can afford a cab. I dont even want to look at the thing, it's too nice to be there as a decoration...

However, would anyone reccomend changing a cooling fan? that thing is pretty loud, does any one make quiter fans and if so, would it be a bad thing to do? However, it doesnt squeek or anything so I have no complaints about it running improperly;)
  17. Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    I just ordered the Avatar B212. I should have it by Monday. Dave is great. We talked for some time and he helped me decide that the 212 was right for me, since I plan on adding a 210 down the road.