1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just got my first bass, it's all scratched up, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Liist, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Liist

Liist Banned

Mar 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I got a used Ibanez GSR200 bass, which is used and all scratched up. I wiped off all the dust accumulated just to find the finish very messed up when looked at an angle with light.

I would liek to ask what I can do to make the bass look newer again.

I do not think that the scratches got into the wood, but are just in the finish, and the bass still works fine, it just looks very dull and I think maybe polishing will get rid of the scratches.

2. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Its got mojo!

3. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    not sure other than taking it in for a new clear coat.
    IMO unless it affects the sound or way a bass sounds, they deserve the scars, shows character and where they've been.

My first bass still has the chunk taken out of it when my friends little brother threw a pogo stick at it. (needless to say he spent the rest of the afternoon duct taped upside down to a tree)

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    You can get some guitar polish and polish it up, OR Play the S**t out of it and in a few weeks you won't even notice.

5. Japanoak

Japanoak

Aug 26, 2007
    Phoenix, Az
    +1 it just gives the bass character. you would have to remove all the hardware, sand it and then have it repainted/stained. probably more expensive then worth doing unless you could do it all your self. but painting will be the hard part unless your experienced.

6. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Rustoleum does not work very well just FYI
    poor squire bass, sorry bout that.

7. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    That rules.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    There's plenty of grades of polish to fix that if it really bothers you.
    start here:
    http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Professional%20(Mirror%20Glaze%20Brand)>Clear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=34101

then look here:
    http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Professional%20(Mirror%20Glaze%20Brand)>Auto%20Paint%20Care>Car%20Polishes>Cleaner/Polishes&sectionID=31402

9. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Sounds like it looks just right :smug:

10. StevieT

StevieT So many basses, so little money....

Mar 10, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I prefer a bass that has been used and abused vs. a new one. My road bass is an old customized Ibanez TR75 that has been beat to heck and back, paint missing, scratched, dropped and gerenerally banged up. The only thing I haven't done to it is set it on fire......maybe that's next, hehehe. It has the sweetest sound and feel over the exact same bass brand new. My 2 cents. Peace

11. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Most of that will probably "go away" with a nice coat of guitar polish.

Other than that, well, it's a USED bass. Have you seen the way most basses are "used" these days? Hey, it's got character!

And it's your FIRST INSTRUMENT. Pretty soon you'll have added a few scratches of your own, and it'll be YOUR baby!

Congrats, "Dad".

12. After you bang up your bass a few times, you'll stop noticing.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Pictures would help or you can do this- take the bass apart, removing the neck & electronics, bridge etc... then-

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    is that from michael dolan?

15. There's a guy on the T40 forum (Scottpro1969) and here on TB that has an extensive step by step to getting a mirror like finish posted either on the T40 or the Peavey forum. I'll see if I can find it.

16. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Be careful using abrasive rubbing compunds and buffing wheels, etc. You don't know how thick that finish is, and if you wear through to the undercoat, you'll be worse off than you are now.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    stop...

don't pass go ...

just learn to play the darned thing and the looks will take care of themselves over time ... you should be running scales, not polishing cloth.

18. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    +1

Also consider that the OP mentioned that you can't see the scratches without angling the bass in the light.

Perhaps he is just talking about finishing swirls from the bass being wiped down each time after being played.

19. danders

danders

Mar 19, 2007
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'd also encourage leaving the finish as is for now. Stuff happens with instruments that are being used and abrasives, even very fine ones, get rid of scratches by removing finish. Maybe okay for a wall hanger but maybe not so good for something you want to use.