Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I JUST GOT MY FIRST BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Dec 1, 2001.

1. I just got my first bass through the mail today. Best 149 bucks i ever spent!!!!!!!!!!! It is a Kramer Striker 4-string bolt-on, with two coil-split soapbars and a 5-way pickup selector. A very nice metallic red finish covers a light alder body. Has a 3-piece maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. The strings are not floppy at all (45-65-85-105 roundwounds on a reverse headstock). I am just so overjoyed. My girlfriend said she has never seen me this happy before. I'd like to thank talkbass for helping instill the love in a wonderful instrument.

I'm wondering: Was everyone as excited as I am when they played their own bass for the first time? Kind of a dumb question, but there is just nothing like the bass, and i am just so happy :D

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Congrats!!!

3. Congrats on the new bass. I remember my first bass. At the time I thought that I had the coolest bass ever played by any musician ever. Now looking back it was the biggest piece of S**t in the world. Looks like you got a nice bass to start off with. Wish I had done the same. Congrats on the bass and welcome to the world of Bassists.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Chris.:) I've heard a lot of good things about the inexpensive basses and guitars over at Musicyo. Enjoy it, and get a teacher.;)

http://www.musicyo.com

5. Congratulations,
    You'll dig it more every time you play. My first Bass was a Kay, complete with an extra fret right at the nut. Wish I had kept it.

PRACTICE EVERY DAY,

PRACTICE EVERY DAY,

PRACTICE EVERY DAY.

Even if it's only for five minutes because you're falling asleep.

PRACTICE EVERY DAY.

~Andrew

6. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Yeah I was a happy camper in 1971. I got an Aria copy of a Fender Telecaster BASS. I was 16 at the time!! I have been happy with every bass I ever bought. Way to many to count...sometimes the honeymoon was over real quick. Have fun with your first...I know I did.

And yes, I agree practice every day.

Dan

7. Thanks for being so supportive. It was just amazing plugging it in and plucking that E for the first time, I had first thought i had messed my pants :D

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    im not trying to bring u down,but no,not a kramer striker!that bass has caused me so much pain,suffering,hatred,and most of all MONEY!AHHHHHHHHHHHH the humanity!

9. Right on Chris!! You will love bass,bro.:D

Just remember to save a little bit of attention for the old girlfreind. ;)

10. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Congratulations!:D

I've been playing for a year and nothing ever amounts to the first day. Ahh, I still remember the day, I was so happy!

(tear)

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Congrats, that's the way to go! Now just play play and play, rock'n'roll every day!

12. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    ;) Felicitaciones!! Practice,Practice,Practice,Again,Again,Again.
    ...and expect a jealous:mad:girlfriend!!

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't believe in the "practice practice practice" theory.
    If you make yourself practice, bass will become an obligation, not something that's fun.
    I, sometimes, play for a couple 3 hour periods, in one day. Sometimes I don't play for 2-3 days, on the flip-side of things.

I don't think you should approach playing bass like you would in a job. IMO/IME when you approach things like that, you'll generally begin to hate it, in the end.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    First bass; that's great man. A musical instrument is something you can enjoy for a lifetime. Have fun.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Focused, regimented practice is the quickest method of improvement.

I've always though practice was fun, regardless of what I was doing.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100% with both of your statements.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah congrats on the new beast man. I remember when I got my first bass i thought it was so cool. thought no bass could beat it.... of course now i realize how ugly and crappy it really is.. but kramer striker basses aren't too shabby.. hope you enjoy it

18. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Congrats on the new bass. NEVER LET GO OF IT! (well maybe in he shower, bu pick it up right after) I remember when i gt my first bass. I layed for hours and the hideous nioes i belched out of tht thing seemed perfect to my. i just got a new bass too. pics soon.
    PRACTICE, PRACTICE, EAT NAP CRAP, PRACTICE. No talking(only singing(maybe)).

19. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    MAYBE I TYPED A LIL TOO FAST.
    Congrats on the new bass. NEVER LET GO OF IT! (well maybe in he shower, but pick it up right after) I remember when i gt my first bass. I played for hours and the hideous notes i belched out of tht thing seemed perfect to me. i just got a new bass too. pics soon.
    PRACTICE, PRACTICE, EAT NAP CRAP, PRACTICE. No talking(only singing(maybe)).

20. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Congrats and have fun!
    Getting that first bass home was an incredible thrill... It was a high that I've never been able to kick.
    The only advice I can offer: Always keep it. I traded my first 'love,' and I've regretted it ever since.

Damn. Now I want to go get another bass so I can have that much fun! :D