1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just got my first paintball gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 5, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Just got a paintball gun for my birthday today. Its a Tippmann 98 starter pack with a can of Co2 and the face mask. Is this a good paintball gun?

I've never been paintballing before ever, but already I'm wishing for a bigger foregrip and a shoulder stock.

Any popular mods for this gun?

Thanks in advance.

$10 says I shoot my eye out.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    it's a great basic piece. There are all sorts of aftermarket tidbits and mods for it
    I got one for my oldest son 3 years ago and it's still going stong. Tippmans last forever.

Invest in a good face mask though

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Tippmans are awesome for what they are.

4. The only downside to the 98 is the weight and air consumption. Other than that, they will take a lickin and keep on tickin :) It certainly wont hold you back from working on your game. Spend your money on a REALLY good mask that fits well and won't fog up. Also a good pair of pants will allow you to run, dive and slide. With the 98 a good mask and pants, you should be ready to rock and roll. :bassist:

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The mask it came with has an anti-fog lens and fits decently. Its made out of plastic, how do I determine if its a good mask or not? I have a mask I made for a Halloween costume last year I could use (korean war era M3 helmet with a layered sheet metal mask welded to it. Comes with shatterproof goggles that don't fog) but I'm not sure since the goggles on it are for snow boarding.

Pants would be army surplus, since its cheap, and its durable for the kind of abuse I put my clothes to.

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    It's a good mask when the game turns really intense, your running and bouncing everywhere, your breathing really hard, yet your mask stays on tight, you can still see clearly, and its not over heating. And the paintballs don't go though the mask.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I don't think my metal helmet would fit the bill. :meh:

8. You can get buy with any gear. As long as the goggles are rated to paintball standards you'll be safe. Play for a day and it will be clear as to what you will want to invest in next. I play tournaments with my son and his friends so I keep two pro style masks at all times. It's nice to have a second that be cleaned while your on the field wearing the other one! Paintball pants are loose fitting and very tough and durable. I would destroy regular pants or millitary BDU's. I shoot autococker style guns and I always bring two of them to the field as well, plus parts and tools. Our guns run on high pressure air, we bring our own filling tank where allowed. We have about 20 tanks if we can't use our filling tank :)

As I mentioned, get out and play. You'll see what other people are using, what works, what doesn't.

9. You don't need a helmet. Just wear a hat or bandana. Paintballs only sting after the game is over :D

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm going out on Sunday with a girl friend of mine (who has very good taste in gifts by the way) and we're going to shoot the crap out of eachother.

It came with lube but I don't know where I should put it.

11. That's almost out-of-context sig material.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Just for you babe.;)

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Deep down, I chuckled a bit.

14. For "personal" protection, I fold a T Shirt twice and stuff it down the front of my UnderArmor unders shorts. Wearing a cup sucks. The 4 way folded T shirt is much more comfy and absorbs the worst shots and doesn't look funny under the paintball pants. You might suggest the same type of padding in the top for your girlfriend. Those chest armor things are dumb. All the girls I know that play just do the T Shirt padding.

Also a neck protector or double bandanas around the neck is a must. Gloves are nice but not a must have. Paintballs even at legal speed will break the skin on occasion.

15. Ya, I didn't know if he was talking about the gun or the girl :p :bag:

16. You might want to buy a compressed air tank instead of using CO2 if you plan on really getting into the sport. That way there is no temperature change or moisture build up inside the gun. Makes it run smoother.

17. Not sure if you have to change the internals on the gun to do that. The 98 uses the Co2 to run the power feeder. Air IS much better though for sure!!

18. This is my Son's gear. GOOD quality mask, double T Shirts, gloves and his Dye brand pants. He also wears cleats if it's muddy. He usually wears a foam neck protector :confused:

When he plays "woodsball" he has camo gear but 90% of the time we play a speedball format, no hiding in the bushes :)

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    My mask looks similar except its all black. Not a fan of the huge vision visor on mine.

20. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Well the masks look pretty similar to a beginer, the mask he has in the picture is pretty good, I think its a profiler, just from a glance and there about 60$

Cheap masks SUCK, fog badddd not comfortable, and if it came with the tippmann don't expect much..