1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just got my Heir!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Oh, man, this thing ROCKS!!! It is probably the best sounding instrument I've ever played. It has an unbelievably gorgeous flame top (way, way better than the one on the MTD site) under a perfect tobacco sunburst. It has an Aguilar preamp, which is awesome, but I wish it had notches for "flat" on the bass and treble knobs. The B string is great, too. The neck has THE perfect shape. I was able to switch to the wide spacing immediatly. Well, I gotta get back to playing it, so I'll give you all a more thorough review later, and I'll post pics ASAP, I promise.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Congrats!
    The Aguiler OBP-1 preamp is boost only. The flat setting is with the knobs rolled all the way off. There is no notch, because there is no "cut" function.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

you better..............

;)

4. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    .....tapping the good foot impatiently......

"and where are those pics? hmmmmmm?"

P@

5. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Congrats! Remember, I need a review on the preamp and how well it works in the Heir. The Heir is a nice instrument, isn't it? I love mine.

Are those pictures here yet? :D

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Oh whoops...I misread and thought you were going to tell us about your new toupee. ;)

Congrats anyway!

brad cook

7. I just played it for 2 1/2 hours straight, and my hand isn't sore at all. With my Warwick 5, my lest hand would get really sore after just like have an hour. The bass balances perfectly, too, no neck dive at all. I really don't think I could be much happier with it. Maybe if there was a mid control, but that's really almost irrelevent, it sounds so good. the only problem is that there's a lot of buzzing, but that's not a huge problem. I'm really loving this bass.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Is that the one that was on Ebay a little while ago?

I used to have a Heir - what a sweet bass for not much $$. Nice RAW tone.

T

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    DAMN!!!! You must be playing the heck out of that bass. 2 days & no pictures. I wanna see pics of you're blistered, bleeding fingers, too. :D

COngrats!!!

10. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

If Bassman doesn't pony up with the photos, I can put photos of my Heir up here and we can pretend it's his. I'll draw the preamp knobs on with a marker or something. :D

Now, where's that Sharpie?

11. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    :confused:
    the mtd heir comes with the aguilar preamp now?

12. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

It was aftermarket, as I understand it.

13. SWEET!!
    Heirs are good and not to much moola. Great tone. Enjoy your bass!!

Oh, Me?: Squire P-bass. YEEEEEHAAAAA!!!!
    I'm gonna post pics of my bass too!!

14. Vanselus, you're right. I did get it off of Ebay. DLS59, you're also right. I got it used, and the guy who had it before me put in the preamp. I wish that he had re-shielded the control cavity, though. It has a fair amount of hum. Other than that, it sounds great, at least as good through my MXR M-80 and Ampeg BA 115 as a Cirrus through a Genz Benz (I think) 4x10 and 200 watt head, which was previously the best sounding bass I've ever played. Like I said, I'll post pics as soon as I can. I'm going to try to borrow a digital camera tomrrow, so maybe I'll get them up by Monday. I still love this bass!:D

15. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i'm sure it does sound great.
    mine does! :D

even if you shield it completely, it's gonna hum.
    that single coil pickup's hum is gonna be amplified by the aguilar.