Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got my Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, May 11, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ...and it´s the best P-bass I´ve ever played. I love the neck and the playability. Everything just feels so solid and the neck pocket is sooo tight. I would put it in a league above US Reissue basses in general. I´m just amazed of the quality control, fretjob and the rounded fretboard edge etc. The sound is also among the best P-bass tones Ive played/heard. The Lindy Fralin pup probably has a lot to do with that. The price/quality ratio on this Skyline (Korean) bass is something else. Sorry Fender, you still have a place in my heart:) but this bass is IMO in a league above most Fenders produced today. And when you consider the price it´s not a hard choice.

Attached Files:

2. Beautiful bass!
    It doesn't get much classier than a sunburst P. :cool:

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    And another bass player is converted :D

4. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Tjenare Jocke!

Super sweet P!

Did you buy it i Sweden or from the net? I know Musikalen i Halmstad retails Laklands but haven´t seen them elsewere.

Is the back of the neck finished in any way?

P.S

You just made me thinking ´bout getting a Glaub :eek:

BR!

Henrik (Göteborg)

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I got it used from a guy in the USA. Much cheaper that way. I know station-music in germany sell these too but the dealers in the US usually give better deals including shipping etc.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

NICE BASS!

I played one about two months ago and it absolutely blew me away. Best P-bass I've ever played, hands down. For the money, I don't think anything else can touch it.

Love the finish, too.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, bitchen. Now, just for reference, please list and describe every other P-Bass you've ever played. C'mon, give us something to go by.

8. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden

Yep! Know the procedure. Bought 3 basses from the US.

Asking again! Is the neck unfininhed, satin or lacquered.

I´m sadly enough a fan of laquered necks and they are rare.

/H

9. strah

strah

Oct 1, 2004
    Stockholm/Sweden
    Absolutly beautiful!! How much was it for the shipping to sweden? How was it shipped?

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Okey. Here we go:
    I´ve owned a really good lightweight 73 P-bass some years ago that was stripped but sounded great. The playability was not the best and the fretjob needed some work. The neck was a really chunky fat logg.

Ive owned a 70´s RI MIJ from Ishibashi. Great bass. Playes good and looks good but lacks that little extra. Hardware looks flimsy.

I also had a 57 RI MIJ from ischibashi. Same thing as above. Both these basses are IMO almost in the same league as the US reissue basses as they have alder bodies and US made vintage pickups but not as good hardware.

After that I had a US std P-bass MIA built in 96. Great neck that felt solid but a somewhat lifeless sound and a heavy body.

I once played a 65 P-bass that was really good but I could not afford it. It sounded really woody and full of character. Really light weight too. This was some time ago but if my memory serves me right this bass comes closest to the Lakland when it comes to neck profile and really close in sound though not as much character as a 40 year old bass.
    The nut width feels somewhat narrower than the US 57 and 62 RI p-basses but is just as flat.
    The neck is finished in a thin satin clear finish. Can´t say if it´s just oil. Feels super smooth and not sticky at all as the poly and vintage finishes can be.

Hope this helps! :bassist:

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Shipping is about $90-120 with USPS for this bass from the US to Sweden. Also keep in mind the VAT and custom fees.

Contact Steve "Dude" Barr at the Dudepit or someone at basscentral.com for the best deals on new Laklands shipped to Sweden.

12. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Thanks Jock!

I´ll say it again.
    It´s a stunning looking bass!

//H

13. Glad it got to you safely, J. I hope you enjoy it! :)

14. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    hey. I was wondering if the Skyline Glaub has any of the usual fender deadspots around the 5th fret on the G string? hows yours?