I just got my ME 50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jun 10, 2004.

1. OK, I got my new Boss ME50B the other day, and I've fiddled with it for a couple of hours and used it for about four hours of worship band practice. Here are my inital thoughts:

Overall, it sounds great
    Very easy to use
    There is no delay when switching effects on or off in manual mode
    Feels nice and solid
    Very good manual (even though you don't really need it)

The compressor is a little bit tricky to get a good sound with
    The loop station is limited to 2.8 seconds
    There is a delay when switching between presets in memory mode
    The wah affects the overall volume, especially in the lower registers

All in all, I really like it. I'll post a more in depth review in a couple of weeks.
  2. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Congrats! It is a super unit. I also have my reservations about the compressor, but other than that, the effects are outstanding.

3. Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting. I really, really like the chorus+reverb. Using that and the "slow gear" effect almost makes my fretless sound like a cello.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and the overdrives / distortions are great!
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have a GT-6B and want to ask a couple of questions:

Does the ME-50B allow you to mix some dry signal with the TWah?
    What are the TWah's parameters?

My problem is that the 6B can't mix dry signal with some effects (including the TWah) and if the 50B can, I'll probably trade mine for a ME-50B. As Boss doesn't publish the user's manual I'm asking you.

Thanks so much for your help.

6. There is not a wet/dry mix control, but the parameters are sensetivity, reference frequency, and resonence.
  7. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I'm still not sure whether or not this unit is practical for me. It seems that most of the sounds don't translate well to the rather loud live applications I'm in. I tried a variety of the distortions. All sounded cool in the headphones and slightly less cool through my rig ( svt head and cab ). When I put them to task on the job, they got buried and no amount of tweaking could pull them out. I'll stick with my SABDDI for my overdrive, it just cuts better. It might have been nice if there were bank up/down pedals ( switch 1 to cycle through patches, 2 and 3 to bank up and down seems a little too obvious a solution) but I suppose the outboard momentary pedals work ok. Still though, thats just one more cable to add to the chain.

But i'll tell ya, with the sound hold function and the octave +1 I CAN do a pretty mean bagpipe solo :)

Any suggestions to make the distortions work live and loud are appreciated.
  8. What exactly are you having problems with? I have used the Muff Fuzz sim through my amp and I thought it sounded great.
  9. billy_bob_pop

Jul 13, 2004
    I just ordered a me-50b an i just can't wait to get it! but i was just wondering, the expression pedal at the right end, does it control volume, Wah and all that??? :help:
  10. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I've tried it once and was really impressed - let me know how it goes. I'm thinking about getting one to....... :)

As far as i know you can program the Expression pedal to volume or wah - and maybe some other things
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's assignable, and also switchable. So you can switch it between, say, wah and volume during a song.
  12. The expression pedal works as a volume pedal until you activate it. It has several different functions
  13. billy_bob_pop

Jul 13, 2004
    I FINALLY got my ME-50B yesterday, and I've fallen in love!! it's the best thing I ever tried for my bass. I love the distortions, even if I'm not the biggest bass-distortion liker. the effects are killer!! and the pedal volume, well it's so practical, as well as the tuner, but i think that the tuner and the memory functions shoul have independant pedals, cause it's kind of annoying(sorry I don't know how to spell that word) to press two pedals at once. but overall ''i'm so happy, case today i found my friends''. :D :bassist: :D
  14. My 50-MEB doesn't seem to work in my 2 guitar, B3 organ & drums rock band,... it gets buried rather easily,... but it just opens up and shines in my other acoustic guitar & drums project. I think with most FXs, the more sonic space there is the better to let the FXs come through,... and the T-wah does shine. Haven't been able to get a CLEAN synth sound though,.. anyone with suggested settings? And am I the only one who wishes the compressor was in front of everything,... I probably am.

15. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    What kind of bass/rig are you running? I'm curious as I have had no problems getting the ODs to cut live with a standard 4 piece rock band. I just purchased two FS-5U pedals so that I can program presets and switch live (I have noticed that the preset mode seems louder than manual mode).

The one effect that I have had volume issues with is the octave. It's odd, because it used to work fine, just lately created a volume cut. I bought the FS-5Us to see if programming a hotter preset would remedy this.

Otherwise I love the ME-50B...[​IMG]
  16. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    are the synth effects the same ones in the SYB-3?
  17. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    There are only 4 synth types on the ME-50B and some are similar to those on the SYB-3, but not exactly. I have still not been able to get a good synth sound out of the ME-50B. I don't think it's Boss' forte. :(
  18. I kind of dug the synth sounds (very new to synth) but I've been trying to get something clean and it just isn't in there. I thought they were musical none the less.

Anyone know of any sound samples of some better or different synth sounds anywhere on the web?
  19. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I guess I'm just spoiled from using the EH Micro Synth and others. Boss' synths are just less practical on the gig as to get a decent sound you have to use the resonance setting on the rocker pedal (=too much hassle for me).

for some good bass synth clips, check out:

20. Very cool! Thanks Kazuhank. Maybe I'll try and test one out. The sound samples sound warmer and not as full on or aggressive as the Boss.

Are you selling your ME-50B? I noticed it in bassviews.