1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Just Got my Moser Spawn 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZiggyDude, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    A couple of years ago I had a bunch of posts regarding a pickup search for a 5 string that I was going to have Neal Moser build. A lot of help from folks led me to getting Nordstrand pickups for it. Some may remember some discussion why numbers are important in measuring necks and stuff.

Anyway - the bass came in - I thought that some might like to see it.
    http://nealmoser.com/store/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6433

The bass is totally custom spec. MCS had not done many 5 strings before and this is the only Spawn done – they actually made the bass template for this one. The neck was also wider than they would normally go and of course the custom wound Nordys. I also went with Gotoh tuners as Neal said the other brands are using such thin gold plate now it wears off. But Ken Smith vouched for the Gotoh quality and I think that is also what is on Alembic.

Regrets - UPS managed to damage it so it is going to have to go back for repairs. Fully functional but has an ugly spot where wood got chipped off. Sort of like saving up for a really great car and then watching them dent a fender while they back it off the truck. Enough to cry.

maves75 likes this.
  2. And amazing bass by and amazing luthier. Congrats!!

maves75 likes this.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    From now on, whenever someone asks "What's the best bass for metal" we officially have an answer.

:)

maves75 likes this.
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lovely, very nice. Congrats.

5. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    Wow, that is amazing bass dude

6. Decedo

Decedo

Nov 23, 2008
    Nice bass man, congrats. Sorry about the UPS damage. I've heard so many stories about them damaging gear, sucks big time.

7. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    THIS ^^^

Congrats on your new baby! Be careful not to put your eye out with that thing!

8. I've owned many pointy basses and guitars over the years, including a Moser. Shipping or even carrying them around in anything less that a custom fitted hard case is inviting damage :( If it was shipped in a case like that and still damaged, then I don't know what to say :mad: My son has my Moser guitar now, last year I made a case for it that would survive a nuclear blast. So far, all the points are intact :)

Again, great bass, I'm drooling :)

9. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Not always into the odd shapes, but this is HOT!

10. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks guys.

It was in the custom G&G case that was made for it. The case weighs several times more than the guitar. Added foam and sponge was also put in for shipping. I am not really sure how they broke it - but they did.

And yes purple tolex for the case and gold interior with a cover cloth added :)

11. JEEZ!!! That's aggrivating :mad:

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That bass looks amazing! Sorry to hear about the damage from UPS.

13. What if Moser made a Mothman?! ZOMG!:eek:

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Great bass though. I really like the shape.

15. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Well - I got the news about a week ago. THe bass has been repaired and is now with the painter. That may take a few months. It will be about 4 years from the date I started the project with Neal to when I finally get possession again.

And yes - no more UPS. I am going from Pennsylvania to Arizona to get it when it is done.

16. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    It's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup - check out the dates of these posts!

It arrived today. New paint not up to the old but still magnificent. But best of all is the workmanship of Neal Moser.

I asked for this thing to be W-I-D-E-! And a custom shop gives you what you want (even if they think you are nuts). I chose a 5 string 19mm bridge and the nut is almost 2". And guess what - the thing plays like a Strat. Well - if there was a Strat bass. Neck is quicker than the EBMM 5 string I have.

And the Nordy's are something I was hoping for and look promising. I have not played this a lot yet (Tragedy of the thread) but at super low volumes with a small 10" practice amp the ceiling rattled. I did not even have the amp bass knob up. I actually may have issues using this other than headphones at late night while family sleeps. Good thing that sleep is optional for a bass player at times. I can jam and practice - but sadly I gotta let them sleep. The wood in this thing is like granite.

More to come.

maves75 likes this.
  17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Too funny! I was just going to reply saying how cool the bass is.... Then I looked 2 posts up... And realized I did that. Over 2 years ago! LOL!

maves75 likes this.
  18. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Thank you.

Here is a trip. It was shipped to me from dry 100 degree Arizona. I was having fun with this and jamming to some songs to learn. Then is suddenly hit me. I did not tune this thing. It sounded fine. Popped it on a tuner. All strings were equally a twit flat - not enough to sweat. OK - the strings are two years old so they did not need to stretch and since DRs still strong. But the point here is the wood and truss bar of the bass held its ground. Wow.

maves75 likes this.
  19. maves75

maves75

Dec 13, 2013
    Freeport Illinois
    Glad I found this. Just a little while ago I asked Neal how many import Spawns there were. He replied there were 5, and one had been the shop bass it's whole life. He offered to sell it, and I of course bought it. Neal set it up, signed the Headstock. I love it. 20170403_173806-1. 20170403_172254.

Killed_by_Death likes this.