Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got my Rick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calebplaysbass, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Well i've had it on layaway for about 3 weeks ago and last night i went and picked it up. It's a 1978 4001. I posted a while ago on it so to the request then, here are the pics(sorry for the large size, but i'm not too great with photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
  3. it sounds beatiful. It has round wound strings on it so it sound nice and bright with just a good solid sound. Very Chris Squire-esque...even though i don't play with a pick. Now i have to buy new strings cause the ones on there are a little old so i'm looking for something nice and dark sounding but still with a lot of pop to them. Are D'addario half-wounds good? or should i just go a coated roundwound? any suggestions? oh and i am also gonna get a replacement pickup cover for that beast. Did anyone notice the Seymour Duncan pup in the neck?

4. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I never understood the concept of layaway.

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I have Rotosounds on my Rickenbacker 4003. And they sound great I think you should check 'em out.

Congrats on the sweet new bass!

6. Yeah i have a sneaking suspicion that the strings on there now are old Rotosounds and i really like the sound but i also wanna get some sort of a darker, rounder sound...not gonna happen with the rotosounds i had on my fender(the swing bass series). They sounded AMAZING but when i needed a toned down sound they came off a bit too clangy.

7. Well, if you see something rare but you dont have the money to buy it right then, you can put it on layaway so someone else can't beat you to it.

Sure if its your average new Fender, or any production bass it isn't as useful. You can always just order one in the same color. If its an almost 30 year old bass, chances are you won't find another one when you do have the dough.

8. the concept of layaway is that i was scared this bass was gonna walk before i could come up with $1175 so i put it on layaway...and now i have a Rick(which i've been dreaming about for about 3 years)

9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Beats putting it on a credit card and paying interest. Congrats on the Ric!

10. Hey! Haha, I remember reading your post a couple months ago about putting a Rick on layaway..

Congrats!

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sweet looking bass, I'm sure you're going to enjoy that one for a good few years. Nice one!

[shouldbeonstringsforumhijack]
    On the strings, Rotosound Solo bass are compressed rounds, still pretty bright but without the really high end zing of the Swing bass rounds. Not a bad price either, definitely worth a try. Another option if you want a roundwound sound but not as bright as the steel Rotos would be nickel rounds, like Rick's own strings (expensive over here) or EB Slinky's. The original Rick gauges are a bit odd (45, 55, 75, 105) but a pack of around 40, 60, 80, 100 are pretty close and work fine on my Rick for me. Hope this helps!
    [/shouldbeonstringsforumhijack]

EDIT I really love that top pic of your bass, great colour combo. Reminds me of this one I saw in a store once during a Dalek raid.
    [​IMG]
    Seriously though, your white Rick is exceptionally cool, I love it.

12. so does anyone know if the pickup cover for the 4003 will fit on the 4001? i really want it and don't wanna have to search for a genuine one from a 4001...but now that i think about it, since almost everyone with a rick takes of the pickup cover, where do they all go?

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Congrats on the Ric I still love mine, great basses

14. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Isn't that a replacement bridge pickup? I 've never seen one like that before.

Nice colour combo, not your typical Rick. I've also noticed alot of Rick players on other forums recommending GHS Boomers as their nickel roundwound string of choice. :bassist:

15. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have a '76 Ric. I've tried the Rotosounds, but they are a little bright for my tastes. If you want something darker try the La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass Roundwounds. I really love 'em. I play finger style. On a few songs I need to pop and the strings work fine. If pop and slap was your main style I'd have to say look elsewhere for strings. Of course if pop and slap was your style you might not be looking to Rickenbacker basses. (Yea, you can do it... but its far easier on a P or J)

16. I guess you mean neck pickup right?

17. Killer bass mate!

I love Ric's in white.

Enjoy!

18. HOOOOOOT :D

that's a tuxedo finish right ?

19. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    [​IMG]

I could be wrong but I thought tuxedo Ric's always had finished necks as shown above.

Now back on subject, That is one cool bass;) , I just bought a 4003 jg and am almost jealous!
    Have you looked at pickgaurdian for pickup covers? The Rickenbacker site has stuff in their boutique as well.
    I hope you get many enjoyable years out of your 4001!!!!!!!