Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got new stuff!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Apr 25, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I bought another Goliath III cab and I'm so happy with the volume I now get. My amp, at the moment, consists of a SWR Bass 350 head and 2 Goliath III cabinets. It sounds so nice and loud and I finally have some headroom. I strongly suggest to anyone who is dissatisfied with their volume to get an extension or just another cabinet. I'm thinking about replacing the Bass 350 and getting the SM-500. I was playing one in the store and I liked how much you are able to change the sound with the 4 band eq and other knobs and buttons. Can someone explain to me how on some amps, there are only volume, bass, treble, and midrange controls? Is there a universally known frequency that those controls boost or cut or some random frequency?

Again thanks for all help in advance. I'm really glad that there is a collective bass community who help and teach other, that I am a part of.

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    two goliath's should rule :)

did you consider a power amp and SWR IOD or Grand Prix instead?

3. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    well buying a preamp or a more powerfull amp will pump more wattage but the speaker resistence will remain the same. By adding another speaking enclosure, you decrease the resistence and cover twice as much room as you would with one speaker. So the two speakers will, i don't for this for sure, seem like your getting twice as much volume. What I mean to say is that adding speakers will effect the volume, to your ears, more effectively than a strong head and a single speaker cabinet