I just got School Days.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Amazing album. I got "if this bass could talk" or something like that, wasn't too impressed. When I put on school days, all the songs are magnificent! Wow, Stanley rules :-D. I'm glad I'm getting my alembic now.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Indeed, one of the few fusion albums I have that aren't too cheesy for a regular listen. I have 1,2 to the Bass which for the most part is horrible (minus that accoustic bass solo, and the Hair cover). But School Days is fantastic, very diverse.
  3. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, it's a great album. How's his self-titled album compared to it?
  4. lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I'd rank "School Days" and "Stanley Clarke" about equal really, as they both have some amazing songs. On the self titled album, all the songs are brilliant, bar the "Life Suite" which I think is a bit excessive. Overall, I prefer the self titled album, ( as if my name didn't give it away ), due to "Lopsy Lu" and "Spanish Phases for Strings and Bass", which are my favourite Stanley pieces. I recommend both :bassist:

You've got me very jealous whafrodamus :crying:
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    it was cheesy, but still amazing basswork. I think School Days had more... sweet funk cracker, and less.. cheese :p... Mm.. cheese and crackers. :D
  6. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the post. It reminded me I needed to get this. Best of all, I have 6 Sierra Mist caps that are good for a free track from iTunes each.

6 caps = 6 tracks = 1 free copy of School Days for Joe Boom.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As far as the music goes, I don't think Stanley Clarke('the album') is "cheesy".
    What may give some that impression is, perhaps, the 'chessy-sounding' '70s synths. ;)

If you already have Stanley Clarke & [/i]School Days[/i]...Journey To Love[ is the next one to get.
    Clarke also excels on Joe Farrell's Moon Germs(all acoustic 4-tet); the album has a version of Clarke's "Bass Folk Song".
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK

Clarke on double-bass; Herbie Hancock on the Rhodes; Jack DeJohnette on drums - that's one of my dream rhythm sections right there!